Amidst the hustle and bustle of our busy lives, there is nothing better to do than to sit down with family and friends to enjoy a home-cooked meal. A tasty and simple go-to which we recommend is a hearty chicken dinner and a classic crumble with custard. For us, these are staples when cooking for and entertaining guests.
Check out our wide range of cookery classes at waterman.house or follow us on Instagram @waterman.house
Pot Roast Chicken
- 1 chicken, approximately 3kg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 3 onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 red chillis, cut into quarters
- 2 garlic heads, cut horizontally in half
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400ml white wine
- 300g black olives, stoned
- To begin, preheat the oven to 180C, putting all the vegetables into a large casserole dish with a lid on. Mix the vegetables up well.
- Rub the olive oil all over the chicken and sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Next, place the chicken into the casserole dish. Top tip- tie the legs together and put all the thyme through the legs.
- Place the lid onto the pot before placing in the oven for 90 minutes. After this time has passed, remove the lid and cook for a further 20 minutes to allow the skin of the chicken to crispen.
- Best served with rice.
- 550g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp water
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ tsp mixed spice
For the topping
- 150g rolled oats
- 80g plain flour
- 85g butter
- 115g brown sugar
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180C and place the chopped apples into a large pot with water, sugar and spice. Put the lid on and sweat the mixture down on a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the apples from the pot and place into an oven proof dish. Then, in a large bowl, add in the oats and mix the flour.
- Melt the butter before adding it to the dry mixture and mix well. Then add in the brown sugar, mixing until dissolved.
- Place this over the apples, ensuring that it is all covered. Place into the oven for 30 minutes until the topping is crisp and brown.
- Delicious when served with warm custard.