Derrygonnelly into Fermanagh SFC semi-finals

Gary McKenna helped Derrgonnelly to victory over Erne Gaels in the Fermanagh SFC
Gary McKenna helped Derrgonnelly to victory over Erne Gaels in the Fermanagh SFC

DERRYGONNELLY secured top spot in Group A of the Mannok Fermanagh SFC and an automatic place in the semi-finals with a 2-7 to 1-7 win over Erne Gaels in Garrison. 

The Harps start to the game was key as they raced into a 1-4 to 0-0 lead by the 14th minute. 

Playing with the breeze at their backs, Derrygonnelly had points from frees from Garvan Jones and Gary McKenna before they then swooped for the first goal of the contest as McKenna palmed home after ebing set up by Conall Jones. 

The Belleek men finally started to grow into the contest after this and points from Ultan Kelm, Martin Gilfeddar and Odhran Johnston saw them cut the deficit to five points at the break, 1-5 to 0-3. 

Derrygonnelly struck for their second goal in the 42nd minute as Garvan Jones fired home to make it 2-5 to 0-4.  

However, Erne Gaels rallied after this with Shane Rooney and Ryan Lyons landing points before Michael Óg McGarrigle found the net to leave two between the sides, 2-5 to 1-6, with six minutes to go. 

Derrygonnelly though were able to see it out and Garvan Jones’ late point left a goal dividing them at the finish. 

The defeat means Erne Gaels finish second in the group and they will have a home quarter final against Ederney next weekend. 

Tomas Corrigan hit two points in added on time as Kinawley came from behind to snatch a 0-11 to 0-10 win over Ederney in Tempo. 

The result means that Dom Corrigan’s outfit take second place in Group B, with their reward being a home quarter final against the winner of the Roslea v Belnaleck game which has to be rescheduled after it was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. 

The Brian Boru’s had the better of things in the first half as Tomas Corrigan rattled over three frees and a point from play, while the experienced Shaun Doherty also chipped in with two points from play to help them into a 0-7 to 0-3 half-time advantage. 

Ederney though started the second half brightly and with Sean Cassidy and Chris Snow knocking over points they levelled matters at 0-7 apiece. 

The sides were tied again at 0-9 each with 58 minutes played before Sean Cassidy popped over to put Ederney ahead. 

However, Corrigan levelled it once more before he produced the winner deep in added on time to secure the win for Kinawley. 

Enniskillen were already guaranteed top place in Group B going into the final round of fixtures and they made it three wins out of three with a comfortable 2-13 to 0-9 win over Devenish in Derrygonnelly. 

The defeat leaves last year’s intermediate champions Devenish facing a relegation play-off against the loser of the Belnaleck v Roslea encounter. 

Conor McAleer’s ninth-minute goal separated the sides at the break as Enniskillen led 1-6 to 0-6 before the Gaels went on to dictate matters in the second half. 

Conor Love was a real thorn in the side for Devenish with the Enniskillen attacker hitting 1-6 from play, his goal coming in the 39th minute. 

Tom Treacy and Jason Love were among the points for Devenish but they were second best on the day.