Ulster champions Glen back in the groove as Derry campaign begins

Danny Tallon of Glen gets away from Dungiven's Conor Murphy Picture by Margaret McLaughlin
Danny Tallon of Glen gets away from Dungiven's Conor Murphy Picture by Margaret McLaughlin Danny Tallon of Glen gets away from Dungiven's Conor Murphy Picture by Margaret McLaughlin

O'Neills Derry SFC Group A, round two: Dungiven 0-9 Glen 1-15

ULSTER champions Glen began their 2023 championship campaign with victory over Dungiven on Wednesday night.

Malachy O’Rourke started with nine of their All-Ireland final team from last year, with Derry skipper Conor Glass missing due to holiday and Ciaran McFaul an unused sub on the night,

Marc Dixon hit the only goal of the game late on, with Glen never looking in any danger.

Dungiven were awarded a penalty in the first minute but goalkeeper Connlan Bradley got a slight touch to turn Jack McGroarty’s shot onto the post and Glen built an attack for Danny Tallon’s opener.

Eoin Higgins was the leading Dungiven light and he tagged on early scores in an even opening quarter.

Glen then began to pull clear with seven different scorers putting them 0-7 to 0-3 ahead after 20 minutes.

Jody McDermott, Marc Dixon and Emmett Bradley were all on target, with McDermott’s effort a half goal chance.

Read more:

  • Derry SFC: Wins for Bellaghy, Lavey and Ballinascreen
  • Conor Glass: Kilmacud's All-Ireland win is tarnished following 16th man controversy
  • Kilmacud formally awarded All-Ireland crown following Glen withdrawal

The Watties led 0-11 to 0-4 at the break with Ciaran Mackle fisting over the opening point of the second half in the first minute.

Five minutes into the half, Eoin Higgins blazed over with another sniff of goal but it was the visitors who carved open the better chances.

Alex Doherty looked odds-on to score with a fisted effort before it was hacked off the line.

Doherty had another chance later on when goalkeeper McGonigle was caught out of goals only for his lob falling weakly to a Dungiven defender.

In the end it was Dixon who palmed home at the end of a swift breakaway to seal Glen’s win.

Meanwhile, in Group B, Newbridge – in their first game of the championship – were 1-15 to 1-9 winners over Loup in Group B.

The four remaining round two fixtures will be played over two seperate Wednesday evenings on August 30 and September 20, with round three taking place this weekend.

Dungiven K McGonigle; S McKeever, E McKeever, B Butcher; C Mackle (0-1), Darragh McGilligan, J McGroarty; C Murphy, F Higgins; S Murray, Donal McGilligan, J Dillon; E Higgins (0-5, 2f), R Mullan (0-1), B Dillon

Subs R McElhinney for C Murphy (29), M Burke (0-1) for S Murray (47), S McCloskey for B Dillon (47J Mullan (0-1) for F Higgins (55)

Glen C Bradley; M Warnock, R Dougan, D McDermott: T Higgins (0-1), C Mulholland, E Mulholland; J McDermott (0-2), E Bradley (0-3, 1f); S O’Hara (0-1), J Doherty (0-1), C Convery (0-1); A Doherty (0-1), D Tallon (0-2f), M Dixon (1-3)

Subs A McGonigle for E Mulholland (45), C McGuckian for A Doherty (45), E Doherty for C Mulholland (54), P Gunning for C Convery (57), R Winton for T Higgins (57)

Referee S Curran (Faughanvale)