Pat Finucane widow issues fresh legal challenge
THE widow of murdered solicitor Pat Finucane has launched a fresh legal challenge after the British government refused to order a public inquiry.
Mr Finucane was shot dead in front of his wife and children at his north Belfast home by a UDA hit squad, which included British state agents, on February 12, 1989.
His wife Geraldine and other family members have campaigned for a public inquiry to establish the circumstances surrounding his murder.
In February last year, the Supreme Court ruled that investigations into the fatal shooting of the solicitor have not been effective and fell short of international human rights standards.
Secretary of State Brandon Lewis later confirmed that a public inquiry would not be held "at this time".
In a statement yesterday, Madden and Finucane Solicitors, who represent the lawyer's family, said new legal proceedings have now been lodged.
"Earlier this month, Pat's widow Geraldine issued fresh proceedings in the High Court when the Secretary of State again refused a public inquiry 'at this time', insisting that the PSNI and Police Ombudsman still had outstanding investigations to complete," it said.
"Separately, the Committee of Ministers at the European Court of Human Rights will next week scrutinise the British Government's continuing failure to comply with Article 2 of ECHR in the case of Finucane v UK."