Northern Ireland

Police investigate after video shows Shankill bomber Sean Kelly being restrained outside supermarket

The video has been widely shared on social media
The video has been widely shared on social media The video has been widely shared on social media

POLICE are investigating after a video was posted on social media showing Shankill bomber Sean Kelly being restrained outside a supermarket in Belfast.

The footage, which has been shared widely online, appears to show Mr Kelly carrying a stick or bar during the altercation in the Ardoyne area of the city.

One man can be seen restraining him while a number of other people try to defuse the situation.

The ex-IRA man was convicted of murdering nine people in the October 1993 bombing at Frizzell's fish shop on Belfast's Shankill Road and was released in 2000 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

He and Thomas Begley, who was killed in the attack, entered the packed shop dressed as delivery men but the bomb went off prematurely.

The intended target were loyalist leaders thought to be upstairs but nine people, including two children, were killed and more than 50 were injured in the atrocity.

Among those killed were Sharon McBride and her father Desmond Frizzell. Mrs McBride's husband Alan has since been engaged in peace building work for many years.

Mr Kelly, who was seriously injured in the bombing, has since publicly apologised.

DUP councillor Dale Pankhurst tweeted yesterday: "I have viewed video footage of the Shankill bomber Sean Kelly armed with an iron bar in what looks to be some sort of altercation at a shopping centre. I will be pursuing this matter with the PSNI."

A PSNI spokesman said it was "aware of a video posted on a social media platform on Saturday May 2".

"An investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident has commenced.

"Enquiries are continuing."

Mr Kelly has been a canvasser for Sinn Féin, including in last year's general election which saw then Belfast Lord Mayor John Finucane elected as MP in North Belfast.

The party was contacted for comment yesterday but did not respond.