Northern Ireland news

No complainant in Sean Kelly supermarket incident

Video footage showed Sean Kelly appearing to be restrained during an incident at a north Belfast shopping centre

POLICE have appealed for information about a video posted on social media that appears to show IRA bomber Sean Kelly being restrained in a north Belfast shopping centre.

The footage was filmed at the Flax Centre in Ardoyne on Saturday.

Justice minister Naomi Long tweeted that she had referred the incident to police after seeing the video and the PSNI confirmed they were investigating.

The DUP also said it has raised it with Secretary of State Brandon Lewis and will raise it at the Policing Board.

However, The Irish News understands that to date no complainant or witnesses have come forward.

Kelly was convicted of the IRA's 1993 bombing of a fish shop on the Shankill Road which killed nine people, including two children.

IRA man Thomas Begley was also killed in the blast.

Kelly was given nine life sentences but was released in 2000 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

His life licence was previously in revoked July 2005 by then Secretary of State Peter Hain, but he was released from custody 10 days.

A PSNI spokesperson said police "investigating the circumstances surrounding an incident at commercial premises in the Ardoyne Avenue area of north Belfast on Saturday May 2 are appealing for information".

"While we are aware that video footage of an incident has been shared on various social media platforms, I am appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident, or who may have information that could help our investigation, to contact police."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news