Northern Ireland

Belfast City Hospital roof fire deemed accidental

Seven crews were called to report of fire at south Belfast hospital on Tuesday

Patient Jim O'Dempsey died in 2016 after being fed porridge at Belfast City Hospital despite being 'nil-by-mouth'. Picture by Paul Faith/PA Wire.
Belfast City Hospital. PICTURE: PAUL FAITH/PA

A fire on the roof of Belfast City Hospital that prompted seven fire crews to arrive at the site has been deemed accidental.

The blaze was reported shortly before 1pm on Tuesday, and one appliance from the nearby Cadogan station on the Lisburn Road was sent to the hospital, along with two appliances from the Springfield Road station, two from Lisburn and one from Belfast’s Central fire station.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said it was confirmed the fire had been extinguished before the fire crews firefighters arrived.

“Firefighters carried out an intensive inspection but found no further hot spots or fires. The cause of the fire was accidental and the incident was dealt with by 2.19pm.”