Northern Ireland

Belfast City Hospital’s Prince Andrew plaque removed and new whereabouts ‘unknown’

The tower block at Belfast City Hospital was formally opened by Prince Andrew in 1986 . Picture by Hugh Russell.
The tower block at Belfast City Hospital was formally opened by Prince Andrew in 1986 . Picture by Hugh Russell.

A PLAQUE marking the opening of Belfast City Hospital tower block by Prince Andrew has been removed with its whereabouts “unknown”.

The Belfast trust has said it did not authorise its removal. The Duke of York (61), who faces a civil case in the United States over allegations he sexually assaulted a woman when she was 17, officially opened the 11-storey tower block in 1986.

The plaque was at the front entrance of the hospital and removed in recent days, according to Belfast Live. It read: “Belfast City Hospital tower opened by HRH the Prince Andrew, 25th June 1986.”

A Belfast trust spokesman said: “A plaque near the entrance of Belfast City Hospital has been removed without any direction from Belfast Trust.

“Its whereabouts are currently unknown.”

Prince Andrew has consistently denied the sex abuse claims made by Virginia Giuffre.

Earlier this month he lost his military titles and his royal patronages were returned to Queen Elizabeth.

The SDLP put forward a proposal to Belfast City Council to stop flying the Union flag at City Hall to mark Prince Andrew’s birthday on February 19.

The move was backed by Sinn Féin and Alliance but the DUP had originally opposed it.

However the DUP has now reversed its decision and said they would accept an alternative day of flying the Union flag on July 1 to mark the Somme.