MacRory Cup wins for St Joseph's, Donaghmore and St Patrick's, Armagh

Noah Grimes scored two points in Donaghmore's win
Noah Grimes scored two points in Donaghmore's win Noah Grimes scored two points in Donaghmore's win

Danske Bank MacRory Cup round three

Group C

St Joseph’s, Donaghmore 1-12 Our Lady’s, Castleblayney 2-8 

TEN minutes into the second half in Galbally yesterday, Our Lady’s looked set to make it three wins from three when they led by six points, but St Joseph’s showed tremendous character to mount a fightback to win it in injury-time. 

The Tyrone school began the brighter of the two sides and they led 0-3 to 0-1 after a dozen minutes thanks to scores from Donnacha O’Neill, Joseph Corrigan and centre half-back Jude McNally.

As the half wore on, though, the Monaghan lads fought back with Max McGinnity to the fore. He hit a trio of points to help bring the sides level and two minutes before the break Charlie McQuillan found the net at the second attempt to leave Castleblayney leading 1-5 to 0-5. 

Tiernan Buckley and Darragh Donaghy exchanged points on the restart before a fisted effort from McGinnity took a deflection on its way to the net.

St Joseph’s, though, responded in kind with a well-taken Donaghy goal and from there until the final whistle it was end to end. 

With Conor O’Neill working hard in midfield, the Tyrone lads reduced the deficit to the minimum thanks to points from Donnacha O’Neill and Noah Grimes.

McGinnity and Donaghy traded points before ’Blayney keeper Jamie Mooney made an outstanding double save to deny Grimes and Corrigan. 

An outstanding Grimes point brought the sides level in the 53rd minute only for McGinnity to convert a free moments later.

In the final minute, a long-range Donaghy free brought the sides level again and there was still time for Corrigan to win it from a placed ball in injury-time.

Donaghmore D Donaghy 1-4 (0-1f); D O’Neill, J Corrigan (2f) & N Grimes 0-2 (1f) 0-2 each; J McNally & E O’Neill 0-1 each

Castleblayney M McGinnity 1-6 (0-4f, 0-1m); C McQuillan 1-0; M Duffy & T Buckley 0-1 each

Group A

St Patrick’s, Armagh 1-8 St Patrick’s, Maghera 1-6

A STRONG 10-minute spell saw St Patrick’s, Armagh on their way to victory in this final group game in their own backyard at Pearse Óg.

A 40th-minute goal from Daniel Cullen shot Armagh into a 1-7 to 1-1 lead against St Patrick’s, Maghera, who rested a host of players with top spot and a seeded quarter-final spot, already secured.

The Derry side rallied late on but were unable to engineer the second goal they needed to back up wins over St Macartan’s, Monaghan and Abbey.

It was Maghera who owned the ball for the opening 10 minutes but didn’t have the guile to break down an Armagh team already out of the competition.

It was the home side who notched the first score, the first of five from Pauric O’Keefe. His second, a sweet score from the wing, doubled their lead before Maghera opened their account with a 19th-minute Rory McGonigle free.

Che McCloskey then broke the line to tee up Sean Boyd for a Maghera goal four minutes later and they led at the break, 1-1 to 0-3.

John Joe Hughes set the Armagh tone with a score early in the second half and their more direct approach was asking questions of Maghera.

Three O’Keefe frees added to the Armagh tally before Cullen’s dipped shop nestled in the top corner of Odhran McElhinney’s net.

Rhys Creaney popped the final Armagh score – again after a high ball into their attack - of the game in the 43rd minute before the Maghera revival.

Darach McGonigle and substitute Turlough McHugh cut the margin to four points but the visitors needed a goal.

Shea Birt had a half-chance denied by goalkeeper Damien Adam before the Maghera goalmouth scramble was blocked.

Birt and Boyd notched late sores but it was Armagh who held on for the win.

Armagh P O’Keefe 0-5 (4f), D Cullen 1-0, JJ Hughes, P Hendron and R Creaney 0-1 each

Maghera S Boyd 1-1 (1f), R McGonigle 0-2f, D McGonigle, T McHugh and S Birt 0-1 each