UCC claim Sigerson crown with extra-time victory over UL

UCC claimed Sigerson Cup glory in the pouring rain at SETU Waterford, winning by three-points after extra time to capture the title for the 24th time.

Dylan Geaney’s early goal was the difference between the sides in the end and, despite going three down after as many minutes, UL fought hard to pull themselves back into contention.

The horrible conditions dented any hopes of free-flowing football but both sides served up an entertaining encounter.

UCC got off to a dream start when Geaney punched home Cathail O’Mahony’s long range free that dropped dangerously into the square and that handed Billy Morgan’s men the initiative in the early stages.

UL’s response was rapid as two Paul Keaney free’s narrowed the gap to just one, but the Cork men kept on top. O’Mahony hit the game’s first score from play, while Geaney (free), Killian Falvey and Mark Cronin (free) all raised white flags.

UCC’s lead was reduced to two-points, however, by the time the half-time whistle sounded, with Falvey interrupting Limerick scores from Emmet McMahon, Darragh Cashman, Ciaran Downes and Keaney to leave the score 1-5 to 0-6 at the halfway stage.

Points after the turnaround from Geaney and Cronin (two) fired UCC five-points in front but a flourish of scores from the Limerick men saw them take the lead for the first time.

Downes kickstarted the revival and further points followed from Eoghan McLoughlin, Mark Lenahan, Jack Coyne, Jack Glynn and Emmet McMahon (2) to put UL two-points ahead.

The final quarter of normal time was frantic stuff and two points from Geaney and Cronin got UCC back on level terms. O’Mahony edged them ahead with a great score which was quickly matched by Coyne.

With the game now in added time, UCC looked to have secured victory with a score through Michael O’Gara, but there was one last kick for UL and Darragh Cashman swung over the game levelling score to drag proceedings into extra time.

Fionn Herily and Sean O’Connor got the eventual winners up and running in additional time before Cronin restored their three-point advantage. Both sides split the posts once after half time, with a Geaney free following Emmet McMahon’s point as UCC secured victory.