Boxer Conrad Cummings speaks of his battle back from crisis that could have ended his career
BOXER Conrad Cummings has spoken of his battle back from the crisis that could have ended his career.
The Coalisland native endured a catalogue of emotional, sporting and personal setbacks earlier this year including breaking-up with his long-term partner, losing the backing of sponsors, having to sell his house, losing his WBO title and splitting from trainer Jamie Moore.
He admits to “drinking senselessly” before he was able to turn his life around. Now Cummings, nicknamed ‘Dynamite', is preparing to return to the ring at the Ulster Hall on October 11 against Poland's Adam Grabiec.
“I've had a really tough time,” said Cummings, who began his professional career with Barry McGuigan's Cyclone Promotions.
“But I didn't make it public looking for any sympathy, I just put it out to let people know that's why I hadn't been in the gym. I just wanted to put it out there because a problem shared is a problem halved.
“I just got it off my chest because it was a really tough few months. It was all going on in the lead-up to my last fight (WBO European middleweight title fight against Luke Keeler in March). It wasn't the reason why I lost but it was a tough, tough time, really, really challenging and everything just fell around me at once.
“Thank God I've got a good family around me and I'm in a good place now so onwards and upwards.”
Now 28, Cummings says he has “never felt better” and he is determined to fulfil his potential in the second chapter of his career. The former Clonoe ABC star has lost three times in 20 fights but he has packed a lot of experience into five years as a pro and has the profile to attract tempting offers if he can return to winning ways beginning on October 11.