McGarrity's teenage kicks carry Carmen into Tyrone decider after semi-final win over Clonoe

Carrickmore captain Rory Donnelly celebrates at the final whistle after their win over Clonoe in yesterday's Tyrone SFC semi-final at Pomeroy Picture: Seamus Loughran.
Carrickmore captain Rory Donnelly celebrates at the final whistle after their win over Clonoe in yesterday's Tyrone SFC semi-final at Pomeroy Picture: Seamus Loughran.

LCC Group Tyrone SFC semi-final: Carrickmore 0-11 Clonoe 0-8

TEENAGER Lorcan McGarrity had one of those days that youngsters dream of, as he shot Carrickmore into a first Tyrone SFC final since 2014.

His six-point haul capped a classy contribution from the 19-year-old corner-forward who broke Clonoe hearts at Plunkett Park.

The St Colmcille's edged a dogged semi-final to get over the line with three points to spare, but always looked the more likely of the sides to get through this one.

It was a much-needed breakthrough for the famous club, now just 60 minutes away from a first Championship title since 2005.

And Clonoe’s defeat means they are thrown back into a battle to hold on to their senior status.

Only a title triumph would have kept them out of the relegation play-offs, and they will face Moy in a must-win game for both clubs, with the loser dropping out of the Division One League.

Clonoe edged into an early lead with a lively opening which brought scores from Connor McAliskey and Shea Coney, but following an uncertain start, the men from Pairc Colmcille injected some energy and pace into their game, with Niall Allison and Ruairi Slane pressing along the flanks.

It was Slane earned the free from which Martin Penrose opened their account in the ninth minute, and a McGarrity mark brought them level.

McGarrity was a real handful inside, his ball-winning and vision a big asset, and he won and converted the free that gave his side the lead for the first time, adding another to open up a three points lead by the 23rd minute.

But Clonoe got to grips with the support runners and targeted the long ball which had been proving effective for their opponents.

They finished the half strongly with scores from Steven McNulty, and a couple of eye-catching long range efforts from Declan McClure and Paul Coney to go in level at the break, 0-5 each.

Carrickmore made their move in the opening seven minutes of the second half, Danny Fullerton coming off the bench to hit the target with his first touch, pushing them into a three points lead.

Clonoe brought proven match-winner Danny McNulty into the action, but he was double-teamed and never got an opportunity to do any damage, but they did close the gap back to one, with a McAliskey 45 and a Steven McNulty effort.

Despite losing defender Seamus Sweeney to a black card in the 49th minute, Carmen were able to close game out, a superbly struck Aidan Fullerton score restoring the three points gap.

And after McAliskey had converted another 45, McGarrity capped a glorious afternoon with his sixth score in stoppage time.

Carrickmore: J McCallan; S Loughran, L McBride, S Sweeney; N Allison, S Donnelly, R Donnelly (0-1); J Munroe, R Loughran; R Slane, J Donaghy, C Munroe; C Daly, M Penrose (0-1 free), L McGarrity (0-6, 0-3 frees, 0-1 mark).

Subs: A Fullerton (0-1) for Donaghy, D Fullerton (0-1) for Daly, B Conway for Slane, M Donaghy for J Munroe, M Donnelly for Penrose.

Clonoe: M O’Neill; C Coyle, P O’Neill, Sean Hughes; R Morrow, Shane Hughes, D Quinn; S McNulty (0-2, 0-1 free), D McClure; R Quinn, C McAliskey (0-3, 0-2 45s), P Coney (0-1); P Doris, F McClure, S Coney (0-1).

Subs: D McNulty for Morrow, J Taggart for F McClure.

Referee: K Eannetta (Omagh).