Tyrone league semi-final picture becomes clearer after packed weekend of action

Mattie Donnelly (right) was among the goals in Trillick's win over Greencastle which helped them seal a spot in the Tyrone League semi-finals
Mattie Donnelly (right) was among the goals in Trillick's win over Greencastle which helped them seal a spot in the Tyrone League semi-finals

KILLYCLOGHER, Errigal Ciaran and Trillick have qualified for the Tyrone Division One League semi-finals, with defending champions Carrickmore set to join them if they avoid defeat in the final round of fixtures next weekend.

It’s been a riveting series, with fierce competition at both ends of the table, and never more than a couple of points separating the top half-dozen sides.

And as they head into the final round of fixtures, it’s clear that the teams that go through to the semi-finals will go all out in their pursuit of the title.

Killyclogher came out on top in their crunch tie with Dromore at Gardrum Park, where there were indications that both sides were holding something in reserve ahead of their championship meeting in a few weeks time.

The visitors emerged as 3-8 to 1-7 winners to make sure of their involvement in the league play-offs, with Tiernan Cox setting them on their way with two first half goals.

Oisin McCann added a third goal, and while Matthew McCaffrey hit the net for the St Dympna’s, it was a comfortable afternoon for Killyclogher, who sealed the win with scores from Nathan Donnelly Gavin Potter and Oisin McCann.

Trillick sailed through to the last four with an attacking powerplay at Greencastle, where they won by 2-14 to 0-9.

Goals from Mattie Donnelly and Seanie O’Donnell were the scores that helped the Reds pull clear in the second half, with Lee Brennan once again in fine scoring form.

Errigal Ciaran had just a point to spare at the end of a tight encounter at Loughmacrory, scraping home with a 1-7 to 1-6 verdict to make sure of their extended interest in the series.

Cathaoir Gallagher netted a penalty for the home side in the first half, but Niall Kelly pulled back a goal for the Dunmoyle men, and it was Tommy Canavan’s late point that proved to be the winner.

Carrickmore needed a stoppage time equaliser from Mickey Donaghy to earn a 1-15 to 2-12 draw with Ardboe.

Daniel Fullerton’s first half goal helped them to a one-point lead at the break, before the Rossas hit back with goals from Jack Martin and CJ McGourty.

Carmen needed a big push towards the end, scoring the last four points of the game to salvage a point that keeps them in contention.

Derrylaughan’s dramatic win at Clonoe – their first of the season – gave them a chance of avoiding automatic relegation.

Clonoe led by three points at half-time, but the game swung on a Ciaran Quinn goal, and although Ciaran Magee responded with a goal for the O’Rahilly’s, it was the Barry’s who squeezed home by 1-11 to 1-10 with a late Ciaran Gervin point.

Clonoe remain in relegation trouble, but Donaghmore took a tentative step closer to safety in dramatic fashion, winning their big relegation battle against Moortown with the last kick of the game.

It was Cormac McCann who held his nerve to convert a late free and give his side a 0-11 to 0-10 win.

Moy are still not out of relegation trouble, but they boosted their survival hopes with a 5-6 to 0-19 win at Coalisland.

Two goals in the space of a minute at the end of the opening quarter from the Coleman brothers, Ryan and Jamie, laid the foundations, with Ryan Coleman netting a third from a penalty just before half-time, to give his side a 3-3 to 0-9 interval lead.

Sean Corr, Tiarnan Quinn, Niall Devlin and Brian Hampsey were on target for a Fianna side safe from relegation, but looking for a performance ahead of their Championship opener against Carrickmore.

Moy added two further goals in the second half, through Matthew Laverty and Eunan Deeney, with Michael Conroy and Ryan Coleman adding points, while Tiarnan Quinn and Padraig Hampsey were on target for the home side.

Meanwhile, Conor McKenna, who looks set for a return to the AFL, helped Eglish win the Division Two title and promotion with a 4-12 to 0-7 win over Naomh Eoghan at Connolly Park.

Michael McGleenan grabbed two goals, with Ethan Jordan and Seamus Muldoon also hitting the net.