Back In The Day - Win earns Newry major Euro cash - The Irish News June 28, 1999

Then Newry new boy Robert Casey got the scoring underway as Newry advanced to the next round of the now-defunct Intertoto Cup. Photo Mark Pearce / Presseye.comr
Then Newry new boy Robert Casey got the scoring underway as Newry advanced to the next round of the now-defunct Intertoto Cup. Photo Mark Pearce / Presseye.comr

Intertoto Cup: Newry 2 Hrvatski D’jac 0 (Newry win 2-1 on agg)

Win earns Newry major Euro cash

NEWRY chairman Joe Rice said Saturday’s historic Intertoto Cup win over Croatian outfit Hrvatski Dragovoljac could net the club a cool £100,000.

Getting through to the next phase of the European competition has guaranteed the border club around £75,000 from Uefa.

Rice’s overworked calculator estimates that another £25,000 could come their way via TV revenue when they take on German side Duisburg next weekend in the next round.

He said: “It’s a great boost for the club to get through to the next round and the financial benefits are substantial.

“We’re already assured of around £75,000 and we will see what deal we can do with German TV, which could see us hopefully getting around 100 grand.”

Newry’s 2-0 triumph at the weekend was marred by reports in sections of the media that the Dundalk business man was about to walk out on the club, but Rice unambiguously set the record straight yesterday.

“I don’t know where they got these stories from, I’m going nowhere!” confirmed Rice.

Rice will travel to Germany with the Newry squad next Saturday for their first leg encounter with the second division German side the following day, but knows very little about the opposition.

“A friend of mine lent me a tape only today of Duisburg in action against Ghent (Belgium side) in October 98. Although they got beat 5-0 in the game they look a very strong, physical side, but that’s all we have to go on,” added Rice.

Newry newboy Robert Casey and substitute Adrian Larkin, two local lads, got the goals at the weekend to overturn the 1-0 deficit carried over from the first leg in Croatia.

Marshes manager John McDonnell was delighted with the performance but said there’s more work to be done next Sunday: “We’re not going out to Germany for a holiday. What Saturday’s result instilled was great sense of self-belief.

“Now is not the time to talk about how well we done. You can talk about the achievement on down the line. We’ll be underdogs again, but we’ll be going there prepared and determined,” added McDonnell.

McDonnell has two personnel headaches to contend with this week with Tony Scappaticci missing the German game after receiving two bookings over the two legs, while Dessie Gorman has a hamstring problem.

Ulster U21 Hurling Championship semi-finals

3-5 Antrim 5-11 - Antrim advance Armagh

IN the other semi-final Antrim’s greater experience was the deciding factor against Armagh at the Athletic Grounds on Saturday.

Antrim, with midfielders Peter Kelly and Charlie Cunning keeping a pacey forward line generously supplied, were able to up the tempo at crucial junctures.

They hit a purple patch just before the break, a goal from full-forward Johnny McIntosh helping them to a 3-6 to 1-3 interval lead.

Armagh had started promisingly, a goal from Conor Breen giving them an early initiative but Antrim systematically worked their way back into contention gaining the upper hand.

Armagh managed two goals in the second half, corner forwards Ruairi Digby and Michael Hughes the providers, but they were always chasing the game.