UK

GB News ‘continues to monitor’ Dan Wootton allegations

GB News presenter Dan Wootton (Gemma Gravett/GB News/PA)
GB News presenter Dan Wootton (Gemma Gravett/GB News/PA) GB News presenter Dan Wootton (Gemma Gravett/GB News/PA)

The boss of GB News has said the channel is continuing to “monitor” allegations against presenter and columnist Dan Wootton which it says have not been “proved by an independent body”.

Wootton, who presents his own evening programme on the channel Monday to Thursday, has strongly denied allegations following accusations he used a pseudonym and offered newspaper colleagues money for sexual material.

GB News chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos had been asked on Tuesday by Dame Caroline Dinenage, chairwoman of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee, via a letter about whether the channel has launched an investigation into the 40-year-old presenter.

GB News
GB News GB News chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos said the company was monitoring the situation (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

Mr Frangopoulos responded, in a letter published on parliament’s website on Wednesday, saying if staff at the channel make a “formal complaint” the broadcaster would “take appropriate steps”.

He also said: “We agree that those working in and with the media should be confident that they are working in a safe environment.

“To this end we have strict written processes and procedures in place for staff to raise issues about the conduct of individuals or the culture at the organisation more generally.

“These processes and procedures are published internally and staff are given appropriate training relevant to their roles.

“Moving onto the specific cases you reference, serious allegations have been made against Dan Wootton, but, as far we are aware, none of these allegations have been admitted or proved by an independent body.

“GB News continues to monitor the situation.”

In August, publishers of MailOnline, owned by DMG Media, which also publishes the Daily Mail and Metro newspapers, announced Wootton’s column would be paused while it carried out an investigation.

His previous employer The Sun newspaper has also said it has launched its own probe into the allegations.

“The select committee’s inquiry into the behaviour of the media and in particular whether there is a problematic institutional culture is a worthy exercise and one which GB News supports,” Mr Frangopoulos also said.

“We agree that it is important that viewers have faith in the media and that truthfulness and accuracy are key.”

Cabinet reshuffle
Cabinet reshuffle Caroline Dinenage is chairwoman of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee (Stefan Rousseau/PA)

In July, Wootton used his self-titled GB News programme to admit he had made “errors of judgment” in the past but branded the “criminal allegations” as “simply untrue”.

The journalist is known for his role in breaking the story of Megxit, the withdrawal of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex from royal duties and was named showbiz reporter of the year at the British Press Awards on three occasions.

Wootton was previously showbiz editor at the News Of The World and appeared on ITV’s Lorraine as their showbiz correspondent.

He announced in January 2021 that he would be leaving his job as executive editor at The Sun, where he previously edited the paper’s Bizarre column, and subsequently became a regular columnist for the MailOnline.

Wootton has been contacted for a response.