Ireland

Sligo rally: Co Fermanagh man named as one of competitors killed in crash

Gardai said the Sligo Stages Rally was halted following the collision (Brian Lawless/PA)
Gardai said the Sligo Stages Rally was halted following the collision (Brian Lawless/PA) Gardai said the Sligo Stages Rally was halted following the collision (Brian Lawless/PA)

One of the two competitors killed during a motorsport event in Co Sligo was from Co Fermanagh.

Daire Maguire, from Lisnaskea, and Gene McDonald, from Co Cavan,  died when the Ford Escort they were in  crashed during the Sligo Stages Rally.

Motorsport Ireland said a full investigation would be carried out into the double tragedy, which occurred on Sunday.

Gardai earlier said the event was halted following a serious road collision.

In a statement, Motorsport Ireland said it extended its “deepest sympathies to the families and friends of two competitors who were fatally injured during a tragic accident while competing on the sixth stage of the 2023 Sligo Stages Rally”.

It added: “Motorsport Ireland also extends its sympathies to the members of Connacht Motor Club and everyone involved with organising today’s event who reacted so quickly and professionally to the incident.

“Motorsport Ireland and its affiliated clubs are recognised internationally for operating to the highest standards of motorsport safety for competitors and spectators in line with the best practice of the FIA.

“Motorsport Ireland has begun a full investigation with the relevant authorities into the events at today’s event to establish how this accident occurred.”

A gardai spokesperson said officers are investigating the circumstances of the incident.

The spokesperson said: “As a result of this collision, the organisers have halted the event.

“An Garda Siochana is requesting that footage of this collision is not shared across social media or messaging applications.

“Anyone with video footage is asked to make this available to gardai.”

The spokesperson said no further details are available at this time.

A statement from Connacht Motor Club confirmed the rally had been halted.

It said: “Connacht Motor Club can confirm that an incident occurred today, July 16, on the Sligo Stages Rally.

“The event has been halted and a further statement will be issued in due course.”