Applications for 30 per cent of children due to transfer to NI post primary schools not yet submitted
APPLICATIONS for around 30 per cent of children due to transfer to post primary schools in Northern Ireland have not yet been submitted.
The Education Authority (EA) said it is "concerned that a significant number of applications", believed to be around 7,400, are still outstanding.
It is urging all parents and guardians of P7 pupils who have not applied for a post primary school place for September 2023 to do so before the deadline on Thursday at 4pm.
The online application process opened on February 1 with thousands of P7 pupils receiving their transfer test results on February 4.
Around 8,400 pupils had sat the tests set by the Association for Quality Education (AQE), while around 7,300 took the GL Assessment. It is estimated that more than 1,000 children sat both tests when they were held in November and December last year.
Pupils will be notified of the outcome of their application via email on May 20.
Peter Canavan, EA’s head of pupil admissions and financial support, said: "We are delighted that over 16,600 or 70 per cent of applications have been submitted for a post primary place for the upcoming academic year, however, we are concerned that a significant number of applications are still outstanding.
"We want to make sure parents and guardians of all P7 pupils are aware of the deadline for applications and ensure all pupils are in the position of being considered by the school of their choice."
Parents can apply via the EA Connect Portal: https://connect.eani.org.uk/parents and there are guides and tutorial videos available on the EA website to assist with the application process.
An admissions helpdesk is also available with staff able to provide assistance and support. For further information, telephone 028 9598 5595 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org