Northern Ireland news

Boy stabbed and two others injured ahead of Somme parade

Workmen put up barriers where the Somme parade passes Short Strand in east Belfast. Picture by Cliff Donaldson

A BOY received a stab wound to his head and two others received minor injuries ahead of a band parade in east Belfast.

A 21-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been released on police bail.

The three boys, aged between 14 and 15, were attacked in CS Lewis Square ahead of the Somme commemoration nearby.

One received a stab wound to the head and was later treated at Royal Victoria Hospital.

The others are understood to have sustained back and arm injuries.

The mother of one of the boys said she was told her son had been stabbed with a sharp object held in between his attacker's knuckles.

"It's only really started to hit me as to how lucky the boys have been," she told the BBC.

"Anyone that is carrying a weapon is out to cause trouble, and I don't want anyone else to be in the same position we're now in."

Police said they received a report at about 6.30pm on Monday that three boys had been assaulted.

"They sustained minor injuries and were treated at hospital," a spokesman said.

"The man was arrested on suspicion of three counts of grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a prohibited weapon with intent to commit an indictable offence.

"He has been released on bail pending further enquiries."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: