Northern Ireland news

Nine people taken to hospital after feeling sick in Belfast pub

 Emergency services were called to The Morning Star in Pottinger's Entry after nine people fell ill
Digital Staff

A Belfast pub will reopen for business today after nine people were taken to hospital after falling sick at the premises yesterday evening. 

Emergency services were called to The Morning Star in Pottinger's Entry at 6.45pm on Tuesday night, according to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service.

The nine casualties are thought to have begun feeling ill after breathing in cleaning fumes in the kitchen area of the pub.

"It was determined that the fumes may have resulted from the mixing of cleaning chemicals to clear a blocked sink in the kitchen area of the property, no gas was detected," a spokesperson from the NI Fire and Rescue Service said. 

On Tuesday night, The Morning Star posted on Facebook: "Thanks for all the messages of concern. Those affected were treated as a precaution and happy to say no major issues.

"Sorry to all our great customers who we had to ask to leave this evening, as the emergency services dealt with the issue

"Business as usual tomorrow and as an apology all pints £3."

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said: "The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service requested the assistance of the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service, relating to an incident at a public house in Pottinger's Entry, Belfast at approximately 6:45pm [on Tuesday].

"Employees within the premises had reported feeling unwell due to breathing in fumes. The NIFRS proceeded to evacuate the premises and entered wearing breathing apparatus to ventilate the building and take a reading on a gas monitor.

"It was determined that the fumes may have resulted from the mixing of cleaning chemicals to clear a blocked sink in the kitchen area of the property, no gas was detected.

"Nine casualties have been transported to hospital by ambulance and the property has been handed back over to the responsible person."

The pub said that those affected were taken to hospital for treatment as a precaution and that there were no major issues.

One of Belfast's oldest pubs, The Morning Star was first built as a coaching stop for the Belfast to Dublin post.

The name is said to come from the nickname the boys who worked at the old mail coach depot called the building as it was their first point of call of the day and all that guided them were gas lamps, the moon and stars.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: