Northern Ireland news

‘Hero' dog Teddy saves boy (5) trapped in tumble dryer at his home in Bangor

Riley Gedge-Duffy (5), and the injuries he sustained after becoming trapped inside a tumble dryer. Picture by Aaron Duffy, Press Association 
Lesley-Anne McKeown, Press Association

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy suffered burns to his arms, back and head when he became trapped in a tumble dryer at his Co Down home.

Riley Gedge-Duffy, who has Down's syndrome, climbed into the machine which started automatically at the family home in Bangor on Sunday.

His father Aaron Duffy (42) said their dog, Teddy, alerted his wife to the danger.

"The dog was barking like mad and running backwards and forwards to the tumble dryer but because it was so dark inside, she could not see where Riley was.

"They could hear banging and crashing and could see his iPad going round and round. We suspect he was inside for a couple of minutes.

"She pulled Riley out and started pouring cold water over him.

"I arrived home about 40 seconds later, stripped him and took him into the shower to cover him in cold water. After that I just dialled 999.

"It doesn't not bear thinking about what might have happened if the dog had not been there."

Riley is being treated at the Ulster Hospital, Dundonald.

"He's doing very well, apart from the burns and bruising to the head," Mr Duffy added.

A hospital spokeswoman has described the boy's condition as "comfortable".

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news