Northern Ireland

Inquest told couple were advised Caesarean unnecessary - six days later their son died

Troy Brady died six days after being born at Craigavon Area Hospital in August 2016

Parents John and Jane Brady of Baby Troy who died when he was six days old, at the inquest at Laganside Court on Monday.
Parents John and Jane Brady of baby Troy, who died when he was six days old, at the inquest at Laganside Court on Monday PICTURE COLM LENAGHAN

A woman whose son died days after he was born has told an inquest she was not told of the risk around breech delivery following the death of her baby boy.

Troy Brady died six days following his delivery at Craigavon Area Hospital nearly eight years ago, in August 2016.

Jane and John Brady, from the Coalisland area, both delivered testimony that they were not fully informed of the risks around the delivery of the baby.

Parents John and Jane Brady of Baby Troy who died when he was six days old, at the inquest at Laganside Court on Monday.
Co Tyrone couple John and Jane Brady. PICTURE COLM LENAGHAN

Troy was in a breech position but the parents said they were told that because it was a pre-term birth at just over 33 weeks there was no need for a Caesarean section operation.

A pathologist told the court he was otherwise a normally developed baby with no evidence of abnormalities.

An expert in neuropathology told the court Troy had suffered a severe amount of brain damage due to a lack of blood and oxygen supply.

He had to be resuscitated after birth and was then taken to the intensive care unit, the court heard.

Troy was kept alive on life support for six days.

The couple said there was a disagreement in the delivery room when the consultant in charge ordered the mother to have her position changed from being on her back to all fours, the court heard.

The couple said the consultant explained there was new research stating this was the best position for the delivery, citing the Royal Victoria Hospital, the court heard.

The consultant is expected to give testimony on Tuesday, with the hearing likely to last the remainder of the week.

 Craigavon Area Hospital will see body cameras worn by security staff in a bid to reduce violent incidents against workers. Picture by Liam McBurney/PA Wire
Craigavon Area Hospital

John Brady told the court he was standing behind his wife, to the left of the doctor, as the delivery was taking place. He said the baby was out of the womb up to his neck but the head appeared to be stuck.

It was then decided to change the position of the mother. She was again placed on her back. Attempts were then made to release the child’s head from the birth canal, before forceps were used.

Both parents said they spoke to the consultant following the delivery, but prior to the baby being pronounced dead. The court heard he told them he could not understand what had happened during the delivery that led to the death.

Mr Brady knew something serious had happened in the immediate aftermath of the birth, the court heard.

His mother, Siobhan, in a written statement read out in court, described how he told her: “He’s born but it’s not good. He’s dead, he’s dead.”

A pre-inquest review hearing was held in Belfast on Monday
Troy Brady inquest held at Laganside Courts in Belfast (Liam McBurney/PA)

Siobhan Brady described the scene in the ward as “chaotic” and that she knew it was in relation to the birth of her grandchild. Her daughter, Sarah McMahon, also present, said there was “pandemonium”.

Troy was cared for in the neonatal intensive care unit prior to his death on August 25.

In her testimony to the court, before presiding Coroner Maria Dougan, Jane Brady said her waters broke at around 10am. A doctor, not the consultant in charge of the delivery, carried out an assessment shortly before 3pm.

“I informed (the doctor) that as a first time mother, I didn’t know which method was best for me and my baby, and that my only concern was that my baby was safe,” Ms Brady said.

Her testimony is that she was told of the risks of a C-section birth for mother and baby but the procedure was not needed as she was at 33 weeks and two days. Ms Brady said she told the doctor of not minding a C-section as long as the baby was safe.

“John and I were not given a choice. The decision was made for us,” Ms Brady said.

Ms Brady’s mother-in-law said the loss of baby Troy was a “huge emotional blow” to the family, with Mr Brady adding his boy’s death was a “tremendous loss” and that he visits the grave at St Patrick’s Church in Clonoe every day.

The couple have had three children since the death of Troy, including twins.