GAA Football

Back in the day - John Maughan considers Mayo future after semi-final defeat - The Irish News, Aug 22, 1999

Mayo’s John Casey tries to stop Cork’s Michael Cronin at Croke Park in their All-Ireland semi-final clash. Picture by John McAviney
The Irish News Archive

JOHN Maughan is considering his future as Mayo team manager after another galling defeat at Croke Park as they lost out to Cork, 2-12 to 0-12, in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

The army officer, who took charge of the side in October ’95, revealed he would make a decision within the coming days but admitted it was unlikely he would remain in charge.

Maughan said he and some of the older members of his playing staff would have big decisions to make.

“There’s only so many knocks you can take, I don’t know if some of us will have the stomach to go on,” he said.

“The team is more or less the same team which came here in ’96 and ’97, we’ve only just come in off the pitch and already people are talking about going.

“There is a lot of mileage on the clock now. All I can ask is for everyone to sit down with their families, myself included, and think long and hard about where we go next.”


PADRAIG Harrington will join Darren Clarke on the European team for the Ryder Cup next month after his second place finish in the BMW International Open in Munich.

Harrington had started the final round of the event needing a top three finish to guarantee the 10th and final automatic place for the Brookline showdown, but he almost threw it away with the most disastrous of starts.

He was bunkered at the second, distracted by a nearby combine harvester on the third and then added a double bogey to those two bogeys by pitching into water on the next.

But he played the remaining 14 in four under, crucially sinking a 10-foot eagle putt on the long 11th after his second shot had cleared the hazard in front of the green by only a few feet.



Rossa’s Colin Murphy tries to get in front of Cushendall’s Ciaran Murphy during the Antrim SHC semi-final clash at Casement Park. Picture by Ann McManus

DUNLOY full-forward Gregory O’Kane destroyed Ballycastle in the Antrim Senior Hurling Championship semi-final at Casement Park, as the Cuchullains kept alive their three in a row hopes with a 2-21 to 1-8 win.

O’Kane grabbed a goal and 11 points, and Dunloy’s performance was the champions at their best.

In the decider they will face Cushendall, who beat Rossa 2-15 to 1-13.

It wasn’t until six minutes from time that Cushendall put the game beyond their great Rossa rivals and, following another point from Dall scorer in chief Conor McCambridge, an unseemly disturbance dominated the closing minutes of the game.



Roy Keane and Dwight Yorke celebrate the United skipper’s second strike against Arsenal at Highbury. Picture by PA

MANCHESTER United captain Roy Keane survived an angry head-to-head confrontation with Patrick Vieira to score the two goals which clinched victory over arch-rivals Arsenal in a full-blooded encounter at Highbury.

After falling behind to a 41st-minute strike by Fredrik Ljungberg, United produced a thrilling comeback, which – if not of Nou Camp proportions – was still enough to inflict Arsenal’s first home League defeat since December 1997.

Keane impressively shook off persistent speculation over his future to equalise on the hour mark and then secured the victory which took his side back to the top of the table with the winner two minutes from time.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: