GAA Football

Armagh midfielder Jarlath Og Burns had headache during Cavan semi-final

Armagh midfielder Jarlath Og Burns took ill after Sunday's Ulster semi-final replay to Cavan in Clones. Picture by Seamus Loughran
Neil Loughran

JARLATH Og Burns had a headache from the early stages of Armagh’s Ulster semi-final replay defeat to Cavan, and is to undergo an MRI scan tomorrow, the Irish News understands.

The Orchard midfielder - one of the players of the Championship so far – was substituted a minute from time before falling ill in the St Tiernach’s Park changing room.

There were worrying scenes as, after being treated by medical staff, Burns was brought to Cavan and Monaghan hospital. Having been assessed, he was eventually discharged later on Sunday evening.

There was particular concern initially because, in the drawn game against the Breffnimen seven days earlier, Burns was replaced by Charlie Vernon at the start of extra-time after suffering an accidental blow to the head following a collision with one of his own players.

Taken off as a blood sub, he didn’t return to the action.

Immediately after that game Armagh assistant boss Jim McCorry said Burns had felt “a bit fuzzy”, before later commenting that “it wasn’t the full concussion but we thought it best not to put him back in”.

For any kind of concussion suffered, the GAA’s guidelines are clear – and the protocol advises that a return to competitive action for adult players should not be made until ‘a minimum of seven days since diagnosis’.

After the drawn game with Cavan, Armagh assistant manager Jim McCorry said there was 'no indication' Jarlath Og Burns had suffered a concussion following a collision with another Orchard player

The following day McCorry clarified his remarks, stating that there was “no indication” Burns had suffered a concussion, adding that the main concern of the county’s medical team surrounded an eye injury sustained in the collision.

He also said Armagh would follow “the proper protocols for full assessment” of the Silverbridge man “to make sure there’s nothing further as well”.

Armagh officials believe Burns was suffering from dehydration, though a county board statement released yesterday made no reference to the cause of his ill health.

“We can confirm that following yesterday's game Jarly Og Burns was taken to hospital,” it read.

“He was discharged shortly after arrival and returned home last night. Our experienced medical team will continue to assess and monitor Jarly Og."

Former Orchard star Oisin McConville was asked about the incident on RTE yesterday morning, and claimed the scenes after Sunday’s game were “nothing to do with concussion”.

“He was dehydrated, he was exhausted, he was on a drip in the changing rooms and he was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure and I believe he’s doing fine,” said the Crossmaglen man.

“As far as concussion, I don’t think the two incidents were related in any way.”

After Cavan ended their Ulster campaign, Armagh were yesterday paired with Ulster rivals Monaghan in round two of the qualifiers. That game is expected to take place in Clones on Saturday, June 22.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: