F1

Toto Wolff calls for transparency in Red Bull’s Christian Horner investigation

The 50-year-old emphatically denies an allegation of “inappropriate behaviour” by a female colleague.

Christian Horner in Bahrain for the opening day of testing (Darko Bandic/AP)
Christian Horner in Bahrain Christian Horner in Bahrain for the opening day of testing (Darko Bandic/AP) (Darko Bandic/AP)

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has called for Red Bull’s investigation into Christian Horner to be transparent – and said the controversy is “an issue for all of Formula One”.

Horner is under investigation by the racing team’s parent company Red Bull GmbH following a claim of “inappropriate behaviour” by a female colleague.

The 50-year-old emphatically denies the accusation and remains in his role as Red Bull team principal.

Toto Wolff has called for Red Bull’s investigation into Christian Horner to be transparent
Toto Wolff Toto Wolff has called for Red Bull’s investigation into Christian Horner to be transparent (David Davies/PA)

He is in Bahrain for this week’s three-day test ahead of the opening race, also in the Gulf Kingdom, on March 2.

And Horner has stated it is his intention to be in his post for the start of the new campaign.

“It is clear,” Wolff said when asked to address the allegations during the lunch interval on the first day of testing.

“Formula One and the teams stand for inclusion, equality, fairness and diversity, and that is not only about talking about it, but living it day in, day out. These are just standards we set ourselves.

“We are a global sport and one of the most important sport platforms in the world and role models, too.

Christian Horner, pictured (centre) in Bahrain on Wednesday, denies the accusations (Darko Bandic/AP)
Bahrain F1 GP Auto Racing Christian Horner, pictured (centre) in Bahrain on Wednesday, denies the accusations (Darko Bandic/AP) (Darko Bandic/AP)

“But having said that, there is a lot of speculation that has been happening over the past weeks, and lots of things that are going on.

“What is important at that stage is for a process with rigour. I think what Red Bull has started as an independent investigation, if this is done in the right way, with transparency, that is something we need to look at.

“What the outcomes are, what it means for Formula One, and how we can learn from that because we want to talk about racing cars, and we want to talk about the sport, rather than these very, very critical topics that are more than just a team issue.

“It is phenomenon, and an issue for all of Formula One, and every individual that works out there.”

Horner is due to be in the media spotlight at an F1 press conference alongside four other team principals on Thursday.

Speaking at Red Bull’s car launch, last week, Horner said he was unable to provide a timeline as to when the investigation will be completed.

It is understood both Red Bull and Horner are keen for a swift resolution, but sources have indicated that a conclusion is not imminent. F1 bosses have called for the controversy to be “clarified at the earliest opportunity”.

Max Verstappen put Red Bull’s off-track troubles to one side by setting an impressive pace on the opening day.

The three-time world champion, who dominated last season to take a third straight title, completed a trouble-free 142 laps and clocked a faster time than he managed in testing 12 months ago. He ended the running an ominous 1.1 seconds faster than McLaren’s Lando Norris, with Carlos Sainz of Ferrari third.

George Russell finished 12th for Mercedes, 2.76 secs off the pace. Lewis Hamilton gets his first taste of the final Mercedes he will drive on Thursday ahead of his blockbuster switch to Ferrari next year.