Police tried to revive machete attack victim, murder trial jury told

Shawn Seesahai was stabbed through the heart during an attack alleged to have been carried out by two 12-year-old boys.

Shawn Seesahai
Shawn Seesahai (West Midlands Police/PA)

Police made repeated attempts to resuscitate a machete attack victim found lying near a primary school, the trial of two 12-year-old boys accused of murder has been told.

The third week of prosecution evidence against the boys, who both deny murdering Shawn Seesahai on Wolverhampton’s Stowlawn playing fields, included a list of agreed facts presented to the court by prosecutor Michelle Heeley KC.

The defendants, whose identities are protected by a court order, are on trial at Nottingham Crown Court, where one denies and the other admits possession of a machete at the scene.

Tributes left at Stowlawn playing fields
Tributes left at Stowlawn playing fields (Matthew Cooper/PA)

Both deny inflicting injuries on Mr Seesahai, who suffered a skull fracture and a fatal 23cm deep wound which passed almost all the way through his body.

Addressing the jury on Monday, Ms Heeley said Mr Seesahai, 19, was pronounced dead at 9.11pm on November 13 last year.

She told jurors that two police constables were directed to attend the scene after reports of a stabbing.

When they arrived, Ms Heeley said, they saw an ambulance parking, and one officer spoke to a young female at the scene who told him the victim was “lying in the middle of the field”.

Ms Heeley continued: “He then started to run towards Shawn Seesahai, who was lying on his back in the field.

“When he got to Shawn Seesahai he saw that his eyes were wide open but looked glazed.”

The police cordon off Laburnum Road, Wolverhampton
The police cordon off Laburnum Road, Wolverhampton

After touching Mr Seesahai to check if he was breathing, the officer started to perform CPR, the court heard.

Ms Heeley said: “He was then asked to stop by West Midlands Ambulance Service so that they could identify the site of the wound. He then continued CPR as did other police officers who attended the scene.

“Throughout the time they were there Shawn Seesahai did not breathe, and their resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. At 21.11 life was pronounced extinct.”

One of the 12-year-olds was arrested on suspicion of murder at 9.30pm the next day at his home, while watching television, the trial was told.

During a search of the property a hoodie and jogging bottoms allegedly worn by the youth were found mixed up with clothing in a laundry basket, and a machete was found in his bedroom inside the bed frame.

The trial continues on Tuesday, when the Crown is expected to close its case.