Northern Ireland

Inquest decision due on Catholic man shot dead by British army

Robert Anderson was one of three men shot dead by the British army in Newry, Co Down, 50 years ago this month
Robert Anderson was one of three men shot dead by the British army in Newry, Co Down, 50 years ago this month Robert Anderson was one of three men shot dead by the British army in Newry, Co Down, 50 years ago this month

The family of a former British soldier shot dead by troops in Newry almost 50 years ago have been told the Attorney General will make a decision on a new inquest on Friday.

Robert Anderson (25) was one of three Catholic men killed during the same incident in Newry in October 1971.

The other two men were Sean Ruddy (19) and Thomas James McLaughlin (27), who was a father-of-two.

They were shot by British soldiers from the Light Infantry who were lying in wait for an IRA bomb team.

It has been claimed an attempt was made to steal cash being dropped off at a night safe.

Mr Anderson's family say he was not involved in the attempted robbery.

Read More: Family of Catholic man shot dead by British army want military 'to admit guilt'

They want military chiefs to admit responsibility for his death.

The family was refused an inquest last month and had challenged that decision.

They have now been told a new decision will be revealed on Friday.

The family's solicitor Gavin Booth, of Phoenix Law, said: "Enough time has passed, an urgent decision needs to be taken to grant the inquest to Robert Anderson.

"The case of the (killing) of Robert Anderson by British soldiers is crying out for judicial scrutiny in the form of an inquest.

"We hope that the Attorney General will grant the Anderson family the inquest they have been seeking."