Northern Ireland

Victims criticise Parachute Regiment inclusion in coronation

All battalions of the Parachute Regiment are to play a role in the Coronation ceremony.
All battalions of the Parachute Regiment are to play a role in the Coronation ceremony. All battalions of the Parachute Regiment are to play a role in the Coronation ceremony.

The inclusion of the Parachute Regiment in King Charles’ coronation service has been criticsed by families of the regiment’s victims in Northern Ireland.

All four battalions of the regiment have been given a special place of honour at Saturday’s service as King Charles is its honorary colonel-in-chief and regularly wears the regimental uniform.

Tony Doherty, whose father Patrick was shot dead by on Bloody Sunday, said he did not agree that the regiment should be included.

In a statement issued by the Bloody Sunday Trust, of which he is chairman, and the Pat Finucane Centre human rights’ group, Mr Doherty said the decision to include the Parachute Regiment would “rightly offend” many people in Ireland. He said it had been responsible for the Bloody Sunday massacre and the Ballymurphy massacre in which 10 innocent civilians were shot dead, including Catholic priest Fr Hugh Mullan.

“There have been no successful prosecutions in either case,” Mr Doherty said.