Ireland

5,000 people enter emergency accommodation since no-fault evictions ban lifted

The Government introduced a ban on no-fault evictions last winter.

Sinn Fein spokesman on housing Eoin O Broin said that more than 5,000 people have entered emergency accommodation since the ban on no-fault evictions was lifted
O Broin Sinn Fein spokesman on housing Eoin O Broin said that more than 5,000 people have entered emergency accommodation since the ban on no-fault evictions was lifted

More than 5,000 people have entered emergency accommodation since the ban on no-fault evictions was lifted last year, according to Sinn Fein’s Eoin O Broin.

The Dublin TD claimed the vast majority of those people who went into emergency accommodation in the last year was a “direct result” of the end of the temporary ban last April.

The Government introduced a ban on no-fault evictions last winter amid inflationary pressures and rising homelessness figures.

Figures released last week revealed that the country reached a new record of people in emergency accommodation.

There were 13,841 people accessing emergency homeless accommodation by the end of February, according to the latest figures.



This includes 4,170 children, also the highest number recorded, across 1,994 families.

Based on analysis carried out by Mr O Broin, he said that thousands of people have entered emergency accommodation because of no-fault evictions.

He also accused the new Fine Gael leader Simon Harris of being “silent on housing”.

“Why is Simon Harris so silent on housing? He was elected leader of Fine Gael a week and a half ago. He set out his priorities across a range of issues. Housing doesn’t appear to be one of them,” Mr O Broin said.

“In fact, I can’t think of a single thing that he has said on the issue of housing and homelessness since Sunday before last.

“What makes that particularly concerning is this week is the anniversary of the ending of the ban on no-fault evictions.

“It came to an end on the 1st of April last year, and we told the government at the time that if they proceeded with that policy, in the absence of adequate supports, a significant number of additional people would become homeless and end up in emergency accommodation.

“At a minimum more than 5,000 people have entered emergency accommodation since the ban on no-fault evictions and the vast majority of those as a direct result of that policy decision.”

Last week, Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien, released homeless figures for February as well as figures for social affordable house builds last year.

“All categories of homelessness were up to historic highs.

“For the first time since 2016, the number of households in local authority housing waiting lists has increased,” Mr O Broin added.

“And yet again, for the fourth year in a row, Darragh O’Brien has missed crucial social and affordable housing targets, as we thought.

“He’s about a thousand homes shy of his new build social housing target.

“But if you look at his affordable housing targets, the lack of delivery is astounding.

“On cost rental, he is more than 50% behind target, on an affordable purchase, more than 60% behind target, on the vacant property refurbishment grant, more than 80% off target.

“On his controversial first home scheme, he’s about 40% off target.

“These are key schemes for the social affordable housing.”