Hurling & Camogie

Wins for Fermanagh, Louth and Derry in McGurk Cup openers

Derry Ben Kearney with Joe O'Connor of Armagh during the Conor McGurk Cup match played at Celtic Park on Tuesday night. Picture Margaret McLaughlin 2-1-2024 (Margaret McLaughlin Photography )

Cavan 0-13 Fermanagh 4-18

FERMANAGH handed out a 17-point hammering to their hosts Cavan to open their 2024 account with a handsome victory.

The Erne County built up ahead of steam early on and gained an eight-point advantage before the first goal of the game arrived.

A brace of majors from midfielder Brian Teehan along with another goal from Tom Keenan put Fermanagh on their way and gave them a comfortable 17-point lead when the short whistle sounded.

Danann McKeogh added a fourth three-pointer towards the end of the game to maintain Fermanagh’s large margin at full time.

Monaghan 0-10 Louth 2-20

Two goals either side of the half time break were the crucial scores for Louth as they overcame Monaghan in the opening round of the McGurk Cup.

A James Costello goal proved the difference in the first half. The sides were evenly matched up to that point, but Costello raised the game’s first green flag after 18 minutes to give his side the initiative.

Louth led by four at the break but eight-points on the trot at the start of the second period saw them push ahead into an uncatchable lead.

John Casey raised a second green flag on the third quarter mark and the We County ran out impressive 16-point victors.

Derry 2-22 Armagh 2-17

A second half burst saw Derry defeat Armagh at Celtic Park, having trailed by five points at the halfway stage. Alex O’Boyle, who top scored for Armagh, and Danny Magee hit first half goals to give their side a 2-9 to 0-10 lead at the break.

The sides traded scores at the start of the second period before a quickfire 1-1 from the hosts tied things up, but Armagh pressed ahead with three of the next four-points coming from Joe O’Connor, Alex O’Boyle and Tiarnan O’Hare.

Armagh held a two-point lead going into the final few minutes but another burst of 1-2 put Derry in front for the first time since the 2nd minute. The hosts powered on and stretched their lead to five by the time the final whistle blew.