Hurling & Camogie

St Mary’s, Magherafelt claim more schools’ camogie silverware

St Patrick’s, Dungannon are Sciath na nÓg champions

St Mary's, Magherafelt
The winning St Mary's, Magherafelt panel (Ryan Crockett)

Davitt Cup final

St Mary’s, Magherafelt 3-1 St Patrick’s, Maghera 2-3

A SCRAMBLED goal at one end of the field and a super save from Michaela McKee less than 30 seconds later saw St Mary’s, Magherafelt snatch a second Ulster camogie title from St Patrick’s, Maghera just 24 hours after winning the St Clare Cup.

The Davitt Cup final came down to those two incidents in the final minute. With Maghera ahead by two points, St Mary’s had to go for a goal from a long-distance free. The sliotar stuck in the goal area until eventually Tiegan Bradley forced it over the line.

St Patrick’s fought back by working the sliotar the length of the field and into the hand of Fianna McMullan, who drew a full-length save from McKee.

While Magherafelt’s defence dominated the opening, Maghera were the better team for most of the second half. They managed just an early goal from Caitriona McGuckian and a late point from Fianna McMullan while accumulating seven wides.

St Patrick's, Dungannon
St Patrick's, Dungannon are Sciath na nÓg champions

However, the holders upped the pace against the breeze with the McElhinney twins and Erin McCann driving them forward. Fianna McMullan pointed within a couple of minutes and then added a goal.

Eventually, Magherafelt broke the siege with a goal from Carragh McNicholl, but Maghera were resilient and worked hard, particularly after conceding a goal and a point to Larissa Mullan midway through the second half.

They responded immediately with a point from Cáitríona McGuckian that might well have been a goal. That stalled their opponents until the late drama snatched the game from their grasp.


St Mary’s L Mullan 1-1, 0-1 free, C McNicholl and T Bradley 1-0 each.

St Patrick’s F McMullan 1-2, C McGuckian 1-1

Elsewhere, St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon are Sciath na nÓg champions after overturning a defeat to St Patrick’s, Keady in the group stages to win the final in MUSA by 4-4 to 1-2.