Galway and Mayo keep up All-Ireland charge

The Tribe took a while to get the measure of Westmeath while their Connacht rivals beat Roscommon

Galway's Shane Walsh produced a stunning display against Kerry, even if it wasn't quite enough to win the All-Ireland SFC Final. Pic Philip Walsh
Shane Walsh was Galway's goalscorer in the win over Westmeath

All-Ireland SFC round two

Group 2 Roscommon 1-15 Mayo 2-14

SECOND-HALF goals from Ryan O’Donoghue and Donnacha McHugh helped Mayo to a win over Connacht rivals Roscommon on Saturday to set up a showdown with Dublin to see who tops Group 2.

It was a nip-and-tuck first half with the sides level on seven occasions, although the Rossies did manage to open up a two-point lead at one stage in front of their fans at Dr Hyde Park.

Conor Cox from the dead ball and Robbie Doland and Donie Smith caused Kevin McStay’s men bother early on, but the Westerners kept in touch thanks to scores from Ryan O’Donoghoe and Eoghan McLaughlin while Aidan O’Shea proved a menacing presence on the edge of the square.

The teams were level at 0-8 a piece at half-time, but Mayo opened up a two-point lead before referee Barry Cassidy awarded them a penalty which was scored by O’Donoghoe.

O’Donoghoe played a big part in Mayo’s second goal, setting up McHugh to palm to the net.

A goal from a Conor Cox penalty gave McStay’s side a few nervy moments but they managed to hold on for a valuable win.

Group 1 Westmeath 0-11 Galway 1-12

A 67th-MINUTE goal from Shane Walsh finally saw Galway see off a stubborn challenge from Westmeath and make it two wins from two for the Connacht champions.

Westmeath had taken an early lead thanks to points from Sam McCartan and Robbie Forde, but their advance was halted by a Ronan O’Toole black card.

The Tribesmen capitalised on his absence, taking the lead thanks to points from Cein Darcy and Walsh.

The contest remained tight for most of the first half, John Heslin and Walsh trading frees, but it was the home side who had nudged ahead by half-time, 0-8 to 0-7.

Heslin put Westmeath two up early in the second half but Galway came storming back to level before Matthew Tierney put them in front.

Westmeath levelled again, but a defensive error saw Walsh get a clear run on goal before firing past Jason Daly. Heslin tried to rally the home side with a free but two more points from Padraic Joyce’s men saw them edge the encounter and set up a decisive clash with Armagh in two weeks’ time.