Derry lose to St Pats but Finn Harps recover to beat Bohs

Kenny Shiels watched his Derry City side lose a half-time lead at Richmond Park Picture by Margaret McLaughlin
Padraig Kelly and Chris Ashmore

Airtricity League Premier Division

St Patrick’s 2 Derry City 1

DERRY City missed out on the chance to move into third in the Airtricity Premier League table as they lost 2-1 to St Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park.

Kenny Shiels’s side had led 1-0 at the break after Ronan Curtis headed home a corner in the 42nd minute, but they were pegged back in the second half.

The home side were pushing hard early in the second half and that pressure finally told when Kurtis Byrne fired a penalty high into the net after Rory Feely, introduced for the injured Killan Brennan minutes before, was fouled by Darren Cole in the 67th minute.

St Pat’s hit the front 10 minutes later when Graham Kelly’s deflected effort found the net.

The visitors pushed hard for an equaliser in the closing stages and Rory Patterson struck the woodwork, but the striker was ruled to be offside anyway.

The defeat was Derry’s third in their last four league games and they will try and improve that record next Friday when they return to Dublin for a match with Bohemians.

Finn Harps 2 Bohemians 1

EDDIE Dsane was the star as Finn Harps moved away from the relegation zone by coming from behind to overcome Bohemians in a robust encounter at Finn Park writes Chris Ashmore.

Harps began in hugely positive fashion with three decent chances inside the opening five minutes. Packie Mailey forced Shane Supple into an early save, while Sean Houston shot over following some deft footwork on the flank by Eddie Dsane and Danny Morrissey then headed just wide as he met a Caolan McAleer cross.

The industrious Keith Ward did well to create an opening for Bohs on 27 minutes which was blocked but in the next attack Dinny Corcoran once again showed his class in front of goal as he latched onto a Keith Ward cross to despatch the ball past Ciaran Gallagher who was making his 200th appearance for Harps.

But the Ballybofey side were level on 34 minutes as Dsane let fly with a thundering low drive from the angle of the penalty area for his second goal in two games.

Ollie Horgan’s charges began the second half in a similar manner with Supple having to be alert at all times.

But on 59 minutes he was beaten again as McCourt found Sean Houston inside the box and he tucked it over the ‘keeper.

Play then swung from end to end with Ward firing wide while at the other end Supple saved from Houston.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: