Back in the day - Cargin cruise on after rocky start in Antrim SFC - The Irish News, Aug 15 1999

The Irish News Archive

Antrim SFC semi-final: Cargin 2-15 Lamh Dhearg 0-7

FOR 20 minutes of this Casement Park Senior Football Championship semi-final Lamh Dhearg held their own with league champions Cargin but, thereafter things went dreadfully wrong.

Points from Kevin Doyle, Eddie Quinn and Declan Gallagher were matched with Terry McCrudden, Pat McCambridge and Colm McCabe scores and the south west favourites looked to have a tussle on their hands.

Lady luck was on their side however and after knocking over three more points Peter McCann was gifted with a 28th minute goal.

His effort beat Joe McNeill after full-back Eamon McGarry deflected the ball past his helpless keeper.

Frank Fitzsimmons kept Hannahstown in it with a 30th minute point and, but for a magnificent save by Paul Brogan,

Pat McCambridge was denied a late Lamh Dearg goal.

Another Cargin point from Sheeny McQuillan saw them go in 0-7 to 0-4 ahead.

Tragedy struck the Belfast side early in the second half after Frank Fitzsimons was sidelined for an off-the-ball incident at the throw-in.

Although Emmet Mulally did manage an early point they were about to be taken to the cleaners.

Peter McCann crashed home Cargin's second goal after a move from the defence out and while Pat McCambridge had the last point for Lamh Dearg it is a game the ‘92 champions will wish to forget.

Cargin: P Brogan , M Logan, P Graffan, M Gribben; S Devlin, M Johnson (0-1), M McAuley; E Quinn (0-2), S McQuillan (0-5); D McPeake, E McCann, D Gallagher (0-2); P McCann (2-1), R McGuickan, K Doyle (0-4)

Sub: C O'Neill for R McGuckian

Lamh Dearg: J McNeill, K Murray, E McGarry P Tumilty; P McGuigan, S McFadden, B Elliot; T McCrudden (0-2), B McKeffry; C McCabe (0- 1), F Fitzsimons (0-1), M Boyle; R Mervin, P McCambridge (0-2), E Mulally (0-1)

Subs: R McCarthy for McKeefry and M Lynch for Mervin

Ref: R Doone (Aghagallon)

Antrim SFC semi-final: St Paul's 0-14 All Saints 0-8

IT wasn't until the closing minutes of the other Antrim SFC semi-final that St Paul's could breathe easily.

An injury to All Saints midfielder Peter McCann, who along with partner Timmy Connolly were the men in charge, saw him move to full-forward and during the remaining seven minutes St Paul's took over.

Leading by three, 0-11 to 0-8, left half-back Aidan Donnelly shot two injury time points and midfielder Chris Murphy volleyed over a short John McManus free. After Peter McCann's opening point for All Saints, Finnegan, McErlean McGonigle and McManus had it 0-4 to 0-1 at the end of the first quarter but lost their way somewhat in the second.

St Paul's: S McGreevy, P McStravick, G Finnegan, P Sweeney, R O'Neill, P McErlean (0-2), A Donnelly(0-3), C Murphy (0-1), C McStravick, A Finnegan (0-1), B O'Neill, N Ward, P Hickson (0-1), J McManus (0-5), L McGonigle (0-1)

Sub: C Hemsworth for G Finnegan.

All Saints: M Kerr, J Donaghy, D O'Loughlin, B Martin, B Quinn (0-2), S McCambridge, K Quigley, Peter McCann (0-3), T Connolly, D Casey, C McCambridge, Barney McCann (0- 2), M McVeigh (0-1), Paul McCann, J McCann.

Referee: Aidan Higgins (Glenravel).

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access



Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: