Dublin archbishop Diarmuid Martin vows to ban overt displays at funerals of criminal feud gangsters
VIOLENCE in Dublin has taken on an "unprecedented level of depravity", the city's archbishop has said as he vowed to ban overt displays at funerals of those involved.
In a statement at the Pro-Cathedral yesterday morning, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said children have witnessed brutality "that will leave scars on their lives for years".
Three people have died in recent weeks in a series of shootings which gardaí believe are connected to a criminal gang feud in west Dublin.
The latest gun attack happened outside a Lidl supermarket in front of shoppers, leaving the victim seriously injured by a shot in the stomach.
"The perpetrators and sponsors of such violence merit nothing but rejection and distain," RTÉ reported Archbishop Martin as saying.
"They belong behind bars and their business of death must be undermined and destroyed.
"...Where it can be ascertained that individuals hold direct responsibility in this traffic in evil they will no longer be allowed to exploit religious services in the Archdiocese of Dublin to enhance their image."
Dr Martin appealed to anyone who can provide information "about this sickening underworld to have the courage and the decency to come forward" and asked "civil and community leaders to show a united and uncompromising response".
Sean Little (22) was found dead at Walshestown on May 21, while Jordan Davis (22) was shot dead the following afternoon, as he pushed his baby in a buggy near Our Lady Immaculate National School in Darndale.
A week later, 41-year-old Hamid Sanambar was shot dead at the family home of his friend Mr Little - bringing the number of gang-related murders so far this year to six.