Sean McComb was 'innocent victim' in nightclub incident says Commonwealth Games Council
TEAM NI boxing captain Sean McComb will not face punishment from the Northern Ireland's Commonwealth Games Council (NICGC) over an incident in a Gold Coast nightclub earlier this week.
The 25-year-old reportedly received a fixed penalty notice for causing public nuisance after police were called to a disturbance in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
However, NI team management say that, after speaking with McComb and viewing CCTV evidence, they believe he was an innocent victim and he retains their full support.
In a statement issued yesterday, the Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games Council (NICGW) said the images "raised concerns as to the accuracy of the initial information".
It read: "The NICGC has brought these concerns to the attention of the Commonwealth Games Federation and Queensland Police.
"Queensland Police have been asked to fast track a review of their decisions.
"The NICGC has reviewed the latest evidence and determined that team sanctions will not be taken against Sean in relation to this incident and we can confirm that he remains an integral member of the boxing squad and the wider team.
"In our opinion he is an innocent victim in this matter and he retains the full support of the NICGC.
"We are disappointed that the reputation of the athlete and the NICGC is being impugned, and we want to ensure that every opportunity is available to resolve this matter.
"To this end, legal advice is being sought and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is being kept informed."