Eight-year-old girl among first Manchester attack victims to be named
AN eight-year-old girl, a college student and a 26-year-old man have been named as among the victims of the Manchester terror attack.
Twenty-two people were killed and 59 injured after a suicide bomber detonated a homemade device packed with nuts and bolts in the foyer of the Manchester Arena as thousands of young people were leaving a concert by US pop star Ariana Grande on Monday night.
Saffie Roussos (eight), who was killed in the attack, was described by the headteacher at her school in Preston as a "beautiful little girl".
Another victim was named as Georgina Callander, believed to be 18, who was studying health and social care at Runshaw College in Leyland, Lancashire.
And tributes have been paid to 26-year-old John Atkinson from Bury, who was named by friends on Facebook as an apparent victim.
Saffie had been at the concert with her mother, Lisa Roussos, and sister, Ashlee Bromwich.
They are both now in separate hospitals being treated for injuries, friends said.
Chris Upton, headteacher of Tarleton Community Primary School, described Saffie as a "beautiful little girl in every aspect of the word".
"She was loved by everyone and her warmth and kindness will be remembered fondly," he said. "Saffie was quiet and unassuming with a creative flair."
Runshaw College in Leyland, Lancashire, spoke of its "enormous sadness" after hearing of Ms Callander's death.
A spokesman said the teenager was on the second year of her health and social care course, and was a former student at Bishop Rawstorne Church of England Academy.
"Our deepest sympathies, thoughts and prayers go out to all of Georgina's family, friends, and all of those affected by this loss," the college said.
Friends of Mr Atkinson set up a fund for his family, which received more than £1,000 in less than an hour after being established.
"John was one in a million and loved by so many," wrote Hayley Turk, who organised the fund through website GoFundMe.
Mr Atkinson's Facebook account has been "memorialised", a process only made possible by verified family members contacting Facebook directly.
Several people have been reported missing after the attack.
Scottish teenager Laura MacIntyre, who had been reported missing, is being treated in hospital for serious injuries, family friend and SNP candidate Angus MacNeil has said.
The teenager, from Barra, had travelled to the concert with her friend Eilidh MacLeod who remains missing.
Chloe Rutherford (17) and Liam Curry (19), a couple from South Shields, have still yet to be found and family members have travelled to Manchester to try to locate them.
Charlotte Campbell has not heard from her 15-year-old daughter Olivia since the attack.
Ms Campbell, who lives in Manchester, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "She was with her friend Adam, Adam was found about half an hour ago, he's in hospital but Olivia has not been found yet."
Alex Klis, from York, is also looking for her parents who have been missing since the attack.
In a post on Facebook she wrote: "Anyone who is in any safe place or hospital in Manchester, if anyone comes across my parents please please let me know as they've been missing ever since the attack."
People have also used social media to try to find missing mother Wendy Fawell.
Tweets said Ms Fawell, believed to be from Otley, West Yorkshire, was last seen in the foyer area of the arena shortly before the explosion.
Appeals were also made for the whereabouts of Kelly Brewster, from Sheffield.
It is believed she went to the concert with her sister Claire and niece Hollie, who were injured and are being treated in hospital.
PR manager Martyn Hett was at the Manchester Arena with his friend, Stuart Aspinall, who has joined Mr Hett's family to appeal on social media for help finding him.