A5 road legal challenge adjourned
A legal challenge into the delayed A5 road project has been adjourned.
The case brought by the Alternative A5 Alliance was due to heard in Belfast today.
Last month the Department of for Infrastructure (DfI) indicated it would seek an adjournment in the case.
The development comes after Attorney General John Larkin wrote to the Supreme Court in London to seek clarity on the implications of the case.
In a letter to west Tyrone SDLP assembly member Daniel McCrossan, DfI permanent secretary Peter May said the case has been listed for mention on October 12 “to review the position with regard to the Attorney General's reference to the Supreme Court”.
Mr McCrossan has previously warned that the troubled project could be shelved after transport chiefs confirmed a recent court ruling has “implications” for it.
Fresh concerns were raised earlier this year after a court ruled that senior civil servants should not have approved a planned £240 million waste incinerator on the outskirts of north Belfast in the absence of the Stormont executive.
Work on the first phase of the project was due to begin earlier this year but was put on hold because of the planned court challenge.
Mr McCrossan last night said the adjournment was a “temporary reprieve for the Department of Infrastructure and for the people of the west of this province”.
“This Road scheme is absolutely vital for this area," he said. "People are needlessly dying on our roads, especially young people.
“Those holding this scheme back are doing nothing to stop it.”