Northern Ireland news

Service held to remember Omagh bomb victims 19 years on

A prayer service was held in the memorial garden in Omagh

Topics

A REMEMBRANCE service was held yesterday for those who died in the Omagh bombing 19 years ago.

Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, were killed in the devastating Real IRA attack on August 15 1998.

A prayer service took place in a memorial garden in the Co Tyrone town yesterday afternoon to remember the victims.

Poetry was read and floral tributes were displayed as part of the commemoration.

The Omagh bomb inflicted the greatest loss of life of any attack throughout the Troubles.

Last week, bereaved families issued a writ to sue PSNI chief constable George Hamilton for failings in the police investigation that they believe allowed the killers to escape justice.

Relatives have already successfully sued four republicans in a landmark civil trial that found them liable for the bombing, but no-one has ever been convicted in a criminal court of the murders.

Police ombudsman reports have previously raised serious concerns about the police investigation into the car bomb attack.

They said there were delays in arresting suspects, intelligence information was not shared and evidential opportunities were missed.

The PSNI has said it will "respond in due course" to the legal challenge.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Topics

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: