THAT great 20th century philosopher Homer Simpson once offered a warning to doctors tempted to abuse their position: "Remember your Hippopotamus Oath!" It's a long way from Springfield to Kos, but the enduring influence of Hippocrates – even when wrongly pronounced – has given the idyllic little Greek island a special place in history of medicine, philosophy and civilisation itself.
Laura Parnaby, Press Association
Holidays&Travel Headlines see all »
- Travel: A family holiday in Kos turns out to be just what the doctor ordered
- Dublin Murders is 'about the terrible things we do when we think no-one can see us'
- Travel News: Salou, Wexford, Giant's Causeway and winter sun walks
- Travel: Why exploring Croatia out of season is a surprisingly relaxing family treat
- Travel News: Centre Parcs, Alton Towers, Dublin Zoo and Malta