Fashion & Beauty
Fashion & Beauty

MORE Fashion & Beauty

FASHION: Going undercover for Valentine's Day

FASHION: Going undercover for Valentine's Day

this day in history
1917: February 4

1917: February 4

Hooliganism at soccer match

There was an exciting ending to the match between Strandville and Shelbourne at Shelbourne Park, Dublin on Saturday in the first round of the Irish Cup.

The referee was Mr Cowan of Belfast and at the close he was subject to an attack by a hostile crowd and was lucky to escape severe injury.

When he had made his good his escape from the ground he was followed right through the Ringsend Road and onto Brunswick Street and it was only his great speed that enabled him to get away from the crowd.

The scene was very exciting and another Belfast man to be attacked was Mr Michael Greenwood who, in company with some of the Strandville players, was proceeding in the direction of the city when he was struck in the face and kicked.

The whole affair seems to have originated from a portion of the crowd at the match who were not in agreement with the decisions of the referee.

It seems quite possible that the whole affair will be brought under the notice of the Irish Football Association.

Alarming occurrence at Maghera

What nearly proved a panic and at any rate was a source of considerable alarm took place at a military concert in the Assembly Hall, Maghera, Co Derry on Friday evening.

The programme, provided by the Randal Sound Troupe, consisting of soldiers from the Scottish Command Depot, was organised by a number of ladies from Maghera.

So great was the demand for tickets that those in charge erected a temporary gallery at the back of the hall.

The hall speedily filled up and in a short time cracks from the gallery began to be heard and the structure swayed.

As a result, there was a rush by those who were seated on the gallery and those seated beneath and practically all the people got out safely.

However, the gallery collapsed, bringing those who were unable to get out, down and a number of people were slightly injured.

One man, Mr Samuel Shiels, had to be attended by a doctor.

Belfast gaelic match

Despite the wintry conditions prevailing, the matches at Shaun’s Park, Belfast yesterday produced keen games and exhibitions of football of a high standard.

Crowleys and Cuchulains drew at four points each after an interesting contest and St Gall’s and Brian Og secured victories over O’Connells and Craobh Ruadh.

The Young Hearts -Ben Madigans’ tie was abandoned due to a dispute between players on each side.