“This is one of my family’s favourite recipes, and it went down a storm when I shared it on Instagram. Everyone loved it,” says Joe Wicks.
“It takes spring onions and makes them the star of the dish, which creates so much flavour. It’s halfway between a stir-fry and a curry, with a lovely thick sauce that coats the whole lot and will have you licking the plate clean.”
Saucy spring onion chicken
1tbsp vegetable oil
640g chicken mini fillets
5tbsp oyster sauce
4tbsp soy sauce
2 bunches of spring onions, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, grated
Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Juice of 1–2 limes, plus wedges to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the chicken over a high heat for three to four minutes, so it gets some nice golden colour.
2. While the chicken is browning, whisk together the cornflour, oyster sauce, soy sauce and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Scatter in most of the spring onions, setting aside some to garnish, along with the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for one minute until fragrant.
4. Pour in the cornflour-soy mixture and coat the chicken and veg, then add the water, bring up to the boil and let the whole thing bubble away and get thick and glossy.
5. Season with lime juice, to taste. Serve with rice and lime wedges and scatter with the remaining spring onions.
Feel Good In 15 by Joe Wicks is published by HQ, priced £22. Photography by David Loftus. Available now.