Football

Tyrone GAA calls for A5 dual carriageway work in 2024

A5 Enough is Enough chair Niall McKenna, pictured at January's launch of the campaign group at Tyrone GAA's Garvaghey HQ.
A5 Enough is Enough chair Niall McKenna, pictured at January's launch of the campaign group at Tyrone GAA's Garvaghey HQ. A5 Enough is Enough chair Niall McKenna, pictured at January's launch of the campaign group at Tyrone GAA's Garvaghey HQ.

Tyrone GAA has called for work on the construction of a dual carriageway to replace the notorious A5 road to begin in 2024.

A motion unanimously passed at annual convention urged the Department for Infrastructure to immediately confirm that the scheme is to go ahead.

Read More

GAA legend Peter Canavan tells A5 inquiry he is a witness to road’s ‘death and destruction’

Tyrone GAA calls for A5 upgrade after 44 deaths

The report of a public inquiry into the much-delayed project has been completed, and is currently being considered by the DfI.

Almost 50 people have been killed on stretch of road between Aughnacloy and Derry in the last 15 years, and the GAA launched a campaign calling for a major upgrade earlier this year.

Tyrone GAA are the driving force behind the new A5 Enough is Enough campaign, which is holding a public meeting next Monday January 23.
Tyrone GAA are the driving force behind the new A5 Enough is Enough campaign, which is holding a public meeting next Monday January 23. Tyrone GAA are the driving force behind the new A5 Enough is Enough campaign, which is holding a public meeting next Monday January 23.

“Tyrone GAA, once again, call upon DfI to confirm the immediate and full delivery of the A5 dual-carriageway,” said the motion.

“The existing A5 road has caused undue carnage, resulting in needless deaths, injuries and trauma for far too many years.

“Tyrone GAA stands in full solidarity with the families of all the victims of the A5. We commend the bravery of these families speaking out against this great injustice and thank them for their commitment to the new A5.

“The people of Tyrone and beyond have made it clear that enough is enough.

“The Department’s ongoing discussions with contractors is noted and welcomed by us and, therefore, we believe that there should be no further impediment to the commencement of the entire scheme next year (ie. 2024).”

The leader of the Tyrone GAA group campaigning for the road upgrade says he’s confident the scheme will be given the go-ahead.

Niall McKenna, chairman of Tyrone’s ‘A5 – Enough is Enough’ group, told convention that he is extremely optimistic that passionate calls from local people, including many bereaved relatives, will be heeded and acted upon.

“The scheme was originally approved by the Stormont Executive in July 2007. In that short space of time, 48 people have lost their lives on the A5,” he said.

Mr McKenna said support for the campaign to improve the road has been enormous, particularly from the Tyrone GAA community, which has lost several members in fatal traffic accidents on the route.

“This campaign has shown to me what the GAA is really about – looking after each other; a common bond weaving our communities together. We are truly blessed to have this Association in our lives enriching all our existences.

“Ever since the idea was mooted for Tyrone GAA to advocate for the full deliver of the A5 dual-carriageway, the group have been greatly fortified by the generous and unwavering support of Tyrone Gaels and the Association.