Hurling and camogie

Hurling Matchbox: Limerick stun Tipperary with stunning second-half comeback

Séamus Flanagan scored a superb goal in Limerick's Munster final victory over Tipperary Picture by Séamus Loughran
Pádraig Ó Meiscill

Munster SHC final: Limerick 2-29 Tipperary 3-21

LIMERICK were scintillating on Sunday as they turned around a 10-point half-time deficit to capture their third Munster title in-a-row.

Goals from Jake Morris and John O'Dwyer helped Tipperary into a 2-8 to 0-7 lead with 20 minutes gone at Páirc Uí Chaoimh. Jason Forde's dead ball accuracy helped Tipp push on from there as they led by 2-16 to 0-12 at half-time.

Limerick weren't to be denied, however, and a wonderful goal from Séamus Flanagan sparked a special second-half fightback. The Treaty outscored Tipp by 2-17 to 1-5 in those 35 minutes and, by the time Kyle Hayes had blasted to the back of the net in the 56th minute, they were already five up.

Leinster SHC final: Kilkenny 1-25 Dublin 0-19

THE Covid-related withdrawal of Cian O'Callaghan and Ronan Hayes and the injury to Eoghan O'Donnell after just three minutes ultimately proved fatal to Dublin's hopes of a Leinster title.

Kilkenny's strength in depth was also key as substitutes Michael Carey, Alan Murphy, James Bergin and Cillian Buckley registered 0-5 between them for the Cats while TJ Reid's converted penalty in the 62nd minute ended the game as a contest.

All-Ireland SHC Qualifying round one

Clare 2-25 Wexford 2-22

CLARE were quickest out of the traps at Semple Stadium, opening up an 11-point lead by the midway point of the first-half.

Wexford weren't for throwing in the towel, however, and had reduced the gap to 1-15 to 1-13 by the 40th minute. The Banner found another gear from there on in and the scores of Tony Kelly, Aidan McCarthy and David Reidy got them over the line.

Waterford 3-23 Laois 2-21

WATERFORD were given a scare at Nowlan Park as a fine second-half performance brought Laois within touching distance of a famous victory.

The Déise had 12 different scorers in the first-half as they went in at the break 1-16 to 0-11 in front. But Laois were a different side after the turnaround and goals from Paddy Purcell and Ciarán Comerford along with the free-taking of PJ Scully had Waterford rocking.

It was only late goals from Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennett which allowed the Déise to prevail.

Joe McDonagh Cup final: Westmeath 2-28 Kerry 1-24

WESTMEATH will compete for the Liam MacCarthy Cup next summer after a spectacular first-half performance helped them to a first Joe McDonagh title.

Niall Mitchell and Ciarán Doyle got the goals as the midlanders registered 2-16 before the break. Mikey Boyle pulled back a goal for the Kingdom going into the last 10 minutes but consecutive points from Mitchell and Derek McNicholas helped Westmeath ease to victory.

Joe McDonagh Cup relegation play-off: Meath 0-28 Kildare 1-15

KILDARE drop down to Christy Ring level as a Jack Regan-inspired Meath took victory at Parnell Park. Regan amassed a personal haul of 0-17 as the Lilywhites were left to rue a couple of spurned goal chances.

Christy Ring Cup quarter-final: Sligo 2-18 Roscommon 1-20

AN injury-time goal from Mark Hannify squeezed Sligo past Roscommon and into a Christy Ring semi-final with Derry.

Nickey Rackard Cup quarter-final: Armagh 7-25 Leitrim 1-21

ARMAGH blitzed Leitrim at Breffni Park, with Danny Magee grabbing five of their seven goals. The Orchard men looked in trouble in the first-half as Eoin McGuinness was red-carded and Diarmuid Kelleher's goal put Leitrim ahead after 20 minutes, but Magee then sprang to life while Paddy McBride and Peter McKearney also raised green flags.

Lory Meagher Cup quarter-final: Fermanagh 3-15 Monaghan 4-6

FERMANAGH were impressive in their six-point win over the Farney county at Brewster Park. The Erne men led by 2-3 to 1-4 at the break and Caolan Duffy's second-half goal sealed their victory.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Hurling and camogie