Hurling and camogie

NHL Matchbox: Limerick continue unbeaten run while Cork power past Waterford

The accuracy of Jason Forde kept Tipperary in the game against Limerick on Saturday night Picture by Séamus Loughran
Pádraig Ó Meiscill

Division One Group A

Limerick 0-20 Tipperary 0-20

AN injury-time free from David Reidy ensured that All-Ireland champions Limerick extended their year-long unbeaten run at the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday evening.

Points from Séamus Flanagan (0-2), David Reidy (0-3), Adrian Breen and William O'Donoghue had given Limerick the lead at the first-half water break, but the sides went in on 0-12 a piece at half-time after being level six times in the opening 35 minutes.

Tipperary were four ahead – 0-18 to 0-14 – at the second-half water break thanks to the unerring accuracy of Jason Forde, but Liam Sheedy's side failed to muster a single score from play in the second period.

Limerick, driven on by the introduction of substitute Peter Casey and the efforts of Flanagan and Reidy in front of the posts, finished the stronger to reel Tipp in.

Westmeath 1-16 Galway 5-34

THE best efforts of Galway native and Westmeath debutant Davy Glennon couldn't prevent the Tribes men from running riot in Mullingar on Saturday night.

Galway got their first goal after only 10 minutes through Conor Whelan and they doubled their goal tally shortly after the first water break courtesy of Niall Burke, after Eoin Skelly had kept out Brian Concannon's initial strike.

Jarlath Mannion pounced for Galway's third goal in the 33rd minute and his wind-assisted side led by 3-18 to 0-10 at the interval. Despite playing with the wind after the break, Westmeath never threatened to bridge the deficit.

Both sides were awarded penalties late in the game, with Conor Cooney pointing for Shane O'Neill's visitors, while Niall O'Brien fluffed the chance to put a bit more dignity on the scoreline for Westmeath.

Cork 5-22 Waterford 1-27

AN efficient Cork side got their their National League campaign up and running with a seven-point win over Waterford at Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday afternoon.

The Rebels were ruthless in their score taking throughout the afternoon, with Patrick Horgan contributing 0-12, while three late goals put a pleasant sheen on the scoreboard for Kieran Kingston's men.

The Cork lead was seven at the break as well after a Robbie O'Flynn goal, while the Déise left a couple of points behind them in that opening 35 with some wayward shooting.

Waterford had the gap down to four points inside the last five minutes, but the late scoring burst from the hosts saw them safely home down by the Leeside.

Division 1 Group B

Dublin 0-18 Kilkenny 1-20

MARTIN Keoghan was the star of the show for Kilkenny as they saw off the determined challenge of Dublin in Parnell Park on Saturday.

The Cats suffered a blow when Richie Leahy limped off with only 10 minutes played to be replaced by Richie Reid. Dublin captain Danny Sutcliffe led by example as the first-half drew to a close with a superb point from distance, but scores from Pádraig Walsh and James Bergin left Kilkenny two ahead at the interval.

Four points without reply from Dublin saw them draw level midway through the second-half, but Kilkenny struck the only goal of the game on the hour-mark through man-of-the-mach Keoghan.

Dublin's fate was sealed when, with five minutes left on the clock, Liam Rushe was given his marching orders for picking up his second yellow.

Wexford 4-17 Laois 0-10

TWO first-half goals from Mikie Dwyer and injury-time majors from Rory O'Connor and debutante Conor Hearne helped Davy Fitzgerald's Yellowbellies power past Laois at Wexford Park yesterday.

Hearne had pointed for Wexford before they were ignited by Dwyer's quick-fire double to lead 2-4 to 0-2 after 25 minutes.

While Wexford led 2-6 to 0-4 at the break having faced the gale, they weren't able to capitalise in the second-half as the sides traded scores to leave it 2-9 to 0-7 before Laois were reduced to 14 players with the sin-binning of defender Lee Cleere.

The hosts upped the ante after this, outscoring the O'Moore men by 2-8 to 0-3 before the end.

Division 2 Group A

Meath 3-9 Offaly 3-25

OISÍN Kelly, Adrian Hynes and Shane Kinsella all goaled for Offaly, while free-taker Eoghan Cahill racked up 0-12 in their comfortable win over Meath at Páirc Tailteann.

Carlow 3-19 Wicklow 0-17

MARTY Kavanagh (2-9) was on fire for Carlow at Cullen Park as they laid down a marker in their opening day win over the Garden county.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Hurling and camogie