GAA Football

Lavey, Slaughtneil and Glen all maintain winning start to Derry SFC

Slaughtneil's Peter McCullagh with Michael Bateson of Newbridge during the Derry Senior Football Championship match played at Owenbeg Picture: Margaret McLaughlin
Michael McMullan

Lavey 1-9 Kilrea 0-6 
Bellaghy 2-7 Dungiven 0-8 

LAVEY made it back-to-back wins with victory at home to Kilrea on Saturday afternoon. 

Two James Kielt frees had the Pearses 0-3 to 0-2 ahead after 16 minutes before the only goal of the game. 

A run from Shea Downey ferried the ball forward to Ryan Mulholland and his fisted pass was punched to the net by Declan Hughes. 
Lavey nearly had a second goal when Eamonn McGill was denied by a Paul Morgan save. Ciaron O’Boyle stroked over the 45 before a second Patrick McGurk point gave the home side a 1-4 to 0-3 interval lead. 

Lavey made it comfortable after the break with points from Niall Toner, Matthew Downey, James and Patrick McGurk. Kevin Quinn and James Kielt registered points for Kilrea, but Enda Downey landed a point in the closing minutes. 

Two late goals from Paul Cassidy shot Bellaghy to a win at home to Dungiven on Saturday afternoon. The sides were level twice in the opening stages, before Dungiven edged into a 0-4 to 0-3 interval lead with Conor Murphy to the fore. 

Dungiven continued their fine form, but were thwarted by an inspired performance from Tones’ goalkeeper Peter Stuart, with Bellaghy responding to level matters midway through the half There was nothing between the teams until Cassidy’s strike before he added a second to clinch victory. 

Slaughtneil 2-8 Newbridge 0-8 
Steelstown 0-8 Ballinderry 1-12 

A CHRISTOPHER Bradley goal six minutes from time cemented a six-point victory for an unconvincing Slaughtneil over Newbridge on Saturday night. 

Derry star Shane McGuigan rounded Paudi McGuigan before hammering to the net after 16 seconds, giving Paul Bradley’s side the perfect start. 
It didn’t deter a well-organised Newbridge who replied instantly with a Mark Doherty point in a first half that saw both teams create a similar amount of chances. 

A Jude Diamond point and the second of four Conor Doherty frees cut the margin to a single point before defenders Conor McAllister and Shea McAteer arrowed over sweet points for their respective teams. 

Leading 1-4 to 0-5 at the break, Slaughtneil got off to the perfect start with three Christopher Bradley points, but they were never able to break clear. Paudí McGrogan cut the gap to two points before Slaughtneil’s subs made an impact.

First Shea Cassidy fired over, then Sé McGuigan made Bradley’s clinching goal. 

Ballinderry opened their account with a comfortable win over last year’s intermediate champions Steelstown on Friday evening. 

Loup 1-10 Ballinascreen 0-9
LOUP put their opening round defeat behind them by beating Ballinascreen on Saturday afternoon in Glen. 
The sides were level when James McClure finished a 13th minute goal for Loup in a first half littered with stoppages. Ciaran Doyle and goalkeeper Ryan Scullion added points as ‘Screen went in at the break on level terms. 
After a tight third quarter, Loup pulled away with points from top scorer Caolan Devlin, Craig O’Kane and Aaron McAlynn on their way to victory. 

Swatragh 5-20 Claudy 0-5
Glen 1-20 Banagher 0-11 

SWATRAGH waltzed to a huge win over Claudy yesterday, holding the visitors to a single point in the second half.

Kevin Madden’s side were rampant from start to finish with a mix of running the ball through the centre and playing long, direct ball. 

The sides were level (0-2 each) after seven minutes before the ‘Swa pulled away with two Francis Kearney scores and two from Conor McAtamney. 

Lorcan McWilliams – who finished with 1-7 – hit the net with the last kick of the first half for a 1-12 to 0-4 interval lead. 

Swatragh spurned two goal chances after half-time, but a Brian Diamond hat-trick and a Niall Coyle goal added to Claudy’s woes.

Champions Glen were cosy winners at home to Banagher last night with Ethan Doherty to the fore with four points from play. 

Manager Malachy O’Rourke handed a start to Connor Carville with Conor Glass making an appearance off the bench. 

Tiarnan Flanagan also made a start after coming on as a substitute in their win over Banagher.

A penalty from Danny Tallon – who scored 1-5 – put Glen 1-3 to 0-0 early in and they went in 1-10 to 0-3 ahead at the break.

Banagher relied on Tiarnán Moore in attack but were never in any danger of creating an upset.

GAA Football