GAA Football

Football Matchbox: Clifford injury worry for Kerry while Mayo blast past Sligo

David Clifford limped off during Kerry's win over Clare on Saturday Picture by Séamus Loughran
Pádraig Ó Meiscill

Munster SFC quarter-finals

Kerry 3-22 Clare 1-11

KERRY must wait to discover the extent of David Clifford's injury after the Kingdom talisman limped off during the second-half of his side's Munster quarter-final win over Clare at Fitzgerald Stadium on Saturday.

Clifford pulled up after he scored a 67th minute goal as Keane's charges romped to a 17-point victory to set up a meeting with Munster title holders Tipperary in Thurles on July 10.

Clifford had amassed a contribution of 1-6 for Kerry by the time he limped off, while Seán O’Shea finished with 1-7 and substitute Micheál Burns chipped in with the other goal.

Limerick 4-18 Waterford 0-12

WATERFORD had no answer to Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday as the Treaty ran out comfortable 18-point winners.

Hugh Bourke (1-6) and his brother Robbie both found the net in the first-half, leaving the hosts with an eight-point lead at the break. Iain Corbett converted a second-half penalty before Cillian Fahy palmed to the net late on to cap an impressive outing for Billy Lee’s men.

Limerick will now face Cork at the same venue on July 10.

Connacht SFC quarter-final

Sligo 0-12 Mayo 3-23

AIDAN O’Shea was man of the match for Mayo on Saturday as they swotted aside the challenge of Sligo in Markievicz Park.

In the absence of the injured Cillian O’Connor, Breaffy clubman O’Shea led from the front for Mayo, collecting a personal haul of 2-2 as they secured a Connacht semi-final encounter with Leitrim.

Knockmore’s Darren McHale was another who impressed for the 2020 All-Ireland finalists, hitting 1-5 over the course of the game.

Barry Gorman and Niall Murphy (0-6) battled valiantly for the Yeats county but their efforts were ultimately in vain.

Leinster SFC round one

Offaly 3-19 Louth 0-19 (aet)

IT WAS Offaly who dug deepest in extra-time as the Faithful county seen off the challenge of Louth at Páirc Tailteann yesterday afternoon.

A late Sam Mulroy free from distance for Louth made it 0-18 to 1-15 at full-time and forced the extra-time. However, the Wee county proved to have little left in tank from there on in as veteran forward Niall McNamee took on the mantle of match winner for Offaly.

McNamee found the net in the opening period of extra-time and set up Peter Cunningham in the second period to finally put what was a gruelling contest to bed.

Wicklow 0-14 Wexford 2-11

WEXFORD managed their first Leinster Championship win since 2014 yesterday to earn the right to take on Dublin this Sunday.

Despite struggling with a number of injury issues, which left the likes of Ben Brosnan consigned to the bench, the Yellowbellies started well and went in at the break 1-5 to 0-6 to the good.

A Martin O’Connor goal in the second-half was crucial to Wexford’s ultimate victory.

Carlow 2-13 Longford 0-25

LONGFORD came out on the right end of a thrilling encounter in O’Connor Park yesterday to set up a quarter-final clash with Meath.

Rian Brady and Robbie Smyth top scored for the victors with 0-5 each, while no less than nine other Longford men got themselves on the scoresheet.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

GAA Football