GAA Football

Donegal football final in doubt after Kilcar player tests positive for Covid

Gerry Maguire

The Donegal Senior Football Championship final between Kilcar and Naomh Conaill, due to take place on Sunday next in MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey, is in doubt after news that a Kilcar player has tested positive for Covid-19.

News of the positive test was confirmed by Kilcar club chairman John Carr who said his club were awaiting further advice from the Donegal county board and the Health Service Authority (HSE) as to the procedures to follow.

The positive test confirmation is a big blow and while no decision has been made on whether Sunday's final can go ahead, it must be in serious doubt.

Kilcar are due to play Naomh Conaill in the county final.

A spokesman for the fixtures committee said that the alternative date for the senior final would be Sunday, October 11 - and that is just one week before Donegal begin their inter-county campaign with a home league game against Tyrone.

This development comes hot on the heels of the weekend news that a member of the Donegal senior squad tested positive for Covid 19.

As a result, the Donegal senior football squad has had to go into isolation.

The player was tested earlier last week just before a return to training and the test came back positive.

It is believed that all of the panel were brought in for a medical by the management as a precaution.

Donegal are due to play Tyrone in the NFL on October 16/17 and in the Ulster Championship on November 1 with both matches being in Ballybofey.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

GAA Football