GAA Football

Conor McCarthy hat-trick sees Scotstown sweep past Doohamlet after Clontibret win first Monaghan SFC penalty shoot-out

Conor McCarthy hit a hat-trick for Scotstown against Doohamlet. Pic Philip Walsh.
Andy Watters

CONOR McCarthy's first half hat-trick saw five in-a-row chasing defending champions Scotstown sweep to a commanding win over Doohamlet in round 1A of the Monaghan SFC yesterday.

Farney forward McCarthy's treble had left the An Bhoth outfit in command at the interval and, although Doohamlet struck back with goals of their own through Jamie Walshe and Barry McBennett, they were cancelled out by Michael McCarville and Jamie McCarey as Scotstown ran out 5-13 to 2-12 winners.

Elsewhere yesterday, Inniskeen got the better of Currin at Aughnamullen. Robert Lorenz's goal early in the second half had extended Inniskeen's lead to six points and, despite goals from Michael McCarville and Jack McCarron (at the death) Currin lost out 2-11 to 1-17.

In the evening game, Christopher McKenna's first half goal meant Truagh and Castleblayney were level at the interval but Adam Treanor, Rory Treanor and Niall Coyle also hit the 'Blayney net as the Gaels pulled away in the second period to win 4-15 to 1-12 at the finish.

Meanwhile, there was no shortage of nail-biting drama at Castleblayney on Saturday as John McEntee's Clontibret edged out Carrickmacross in the first ever senior championship penalty shoot-out.

The match had finished deadlocked at 2-14 to 0-20 after extra-time but the O'Neill's side held their nerve to win as the battling Emmet's outfit missed all four attempts in the shoot-out.

Things had started well for them after Conor McManus missed Clontibret's first penalty but goalkeeper Darren McDonnell made amends for his side by saving from Carrickmacross's Stephen Gollogly. McDonnell also denied Aaron Lynch after Colum Green had fired Clontribret's second penalty wide too.

Michael Paul O'Dowd eventually broke the deadlock for Clontibret and Monaghan starlet Stephen O'Hanlon could only hit the post when he stepped up for Carrickmacross's third effort.

The experienced Brian Greenan made it 2-0 and Clontibret's passage was assured when Sean Downey sent his side's fourth attempt wide.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Ballybay – beaten finalists in last year's final – had too much firepower for Latton and came out with a 2-16 to 2-5 victory.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

GAA Football

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: