GAA Football

Trillick through to Tyrone quarter-final; Killeavy and Silverbridge advance to last eight in Armagh SFC

Tyrone forward Lee Brennan helped himself to seven points in Trillick's win over Donaghmore
Padraig Kelly

LCC Tyrone SFC first round: Trillick 2-11 Donaghmore 1-7

TRILLICK became the first team through to the quarter-finals of the LCC Tyrone SFC as they beat Donaghmore at Healy Park on Friday evening.

After the first two points of the game had been shared, Ryan Gray netted in the 10th minute to put St McCartan's ahead and it was a lead they never looked like losing.

Gray added a point, while county forward Lee Brennan bagged four in the first half to help his side to a two-point advantage at the short whistle.

Two more Brennan points doubled Trillick's lead in a low-scoring second half and further points from Niall Gormley, James Garrity and Michael Gallagher made the game safe, before Brennan took his tally to 0-7 in injury-time and Gormley added to his point with his side's second goal.

A late penalty goal from Donaghmore's Philip Donnelly was merely a consolation.


Cormac Leonard Commercials Armagh SFC play-off round

Killeavy 3-12 Pearse Og 1-7

KILLEAVY advanced to the quarter-finals of the Armagh Senior Championship following a commanding 3-12 to 1-7 win over Pearse Ogs on Friday night.

The side led 1-6 to 1-3 at the break – Jamie Cosgrove (Killeavy) and Marc Cullen with the respective goals – before Conor O’Neill grabbed Killeavy’s major at the start of the second half.

That allowed them to hold their opponents at arm’s length and as the Ogs searched for a goal late on, Killeavy took advantage of the space to add a third goal as the game moved into additional time.

Sarsfield's 1-8 Silverbridge 1-11

A SECOND-HALF Damian McCann penalty proved crucial as Silverbridge defeated Sarsfields 1-11 to 1-8 despite kicking 20 wides. Most of those arrived in the second half as they continually coughed up glorious opportunities which, in turn, kept their opponents in the hunt.

The Highmoss men actually led 1-6 to 0-5 at the break with Colin Stevenson grabbing their goal early on.

They were unable to keep up the intensity after the break though with McCann slotting smartly to the keeper’s right before late points from Aaron Duffy and McCann confirmed their progress.

Greenfield Foods Monaghan SFC round 3B: Castleblayney 0-9 Magheracloone 0-10

MAGHERACLOONE are back in the Monaghan semi-finals following a 0-10 to 0-9 win over Castleblayney in Inniskeen.

The Mitchel’s, who lost to Scotstown in last year’s final, led 0-4 to 0-3 with Alan McCahey’s free-taking chiefly responsible for their scores.

The same player saw them ease into an 0-8 to 0-4 lead and with Blayney losing Kealan Duffy to a red card with 15 minutes remaining, the result didn’t look in doubt.

Blayney to their credit did finish well with McElroy (3), Fergal Malone, and Dermot McArdle on target, but points from McCahey and McMahon were enough to see Magheracloone through.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: