Derry City edge past Bohemians in an action-packed encounter

Kevin McLaughlin

SSE Airtricity League Premier Division: Bohemians 2 Derry City 3

Derry City secured a hard-fought victory at Bohemians, in an action-packed encounter at a rain soaked Dalymount Park. The Candy Stripes have now won three of their last four visits to the Dublin venue, but they really had to work hard for the three points, as Keith Long's side, particularly in the closing stages went close to levelling things.

Derry boss Ruaidhri Higgins made the big call off dropping top scorer Jamie McGonigle and youngster Brandon Kavanagh also went onto the bench. In came James Akintunde and Danny Lafferty, as City looked to follow up last week's narrow win at bottom side UCD.

As for the home side Kris Twardek came into the starting line-up for Liam Burt, who had to settle for a place amongst the substitutes. It was Bohs who went close early on with Promise Omochere doing well down their left before picking out Dawson Devoy on the edge of the box, he showed neat skill before seeing his left footed strike flash just wide.

City had their first effort on 19 minutes, but Will Patching's teasing 25-yard free kick was parried away by a diving Tadgh Ryan. Just after the half-hour mark the visitors would have taken the lead but for a superb double stop by Bohs keeper Ryan.

Defender Caoimhin Porter saw his right-wing cross find Lafferty at the back post, his well hit drive was pushed away by Ryan and the keeper somehow turned Joe Thomson's close range follow-up effort over the bar.

Moments later City Brian Maher was called into action, as Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe's clever flick found Omochere, but the big striker's side footed shot was booted clear by the Derry number one.

The deadlock was broken on 42 minutes after a terrible goalkeeping error by Ryan when Porter's lovely pass released Joe Thomson from midfield and as the Bohs keeper rushed off his line, the Glasgow native calmly lifted the ball into the unguarded net.

That man Omochere went close to equalising early in the second half, after Kris Twardek's right wing cross found the frontman but his close-range header was straight at Maher.

The Dubliners levelled things on 58 minutes as young Porter's poor defensive header fell perfectly to Ali Coote and the midfielder made no mistake drilling the ball low into Maher's bottom right hand corner.

Incredibly the Brandywell men regained the lead two minutes later as Porter made up for his error, as his lovely right-wing centre found Smith at the back post and the ex-St Patrick's Athletic man made no mistake firing past Ryan.

Derry added a third on 75 minutes as Patching's sublime free kick, which was whipped in from the left into the six-yard box and the unfortunate Devoy deflected the ball into his own net.

The Dubliners pulled a second back on 85 minutes in spectacular fashion as Devoy saw his 25-yard pile driver, which gave Maher no chance, find the bottom left-hand corner. Derry's goal was under siege in the final stages as first Omochere's close range header was blocked on the line and Cameron McJannet did well to divert Devoy's goal-bound cross.

Bohemians: Ryan, Feely, Doherty, Coote, Ogedi-Uzowke, Devoy, Murphy (Kelly 81), Levingston (Wilson 70), Omochere, Flores, Twardek (Mullins 65).

Derry City: Maher, S McEleney, McJannet, Coll; Porter (Kavanagh 61), P McEleney, Patching, Thomson, Lafferty (Toal 61); Akintunde (McGonigle 70), Smith (McLaughlin 90).

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access